Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM recall...

(Monroe County)

Default GM recall...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/04/14/gm.recall/index.html

GM recalling 1.5 million cars over fire fears

(CNN) -- The possibility of engine fires has prompted General Motors to recall nearly 1.5 million passenger sedans manufactured between 1997 and 2003, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration announced Monday.
    The recall involves certain GM vehicles in which oil apparently can leak and ignite.

The recall involves certain GM vehicles in which oil apparently can leak and ignite.

The recall covers certain mid- and full-size passenger sedans under GM's Chevrolet, Buick, Oldsmobile and Pontiac brands.

The affected vehicles have naturally aspirated 3.8 liter V6 engines -- that is, engines that use atmospheric pressure rather than a mechanical blower to bring in air for combustion -- according to documents that GM filed with federal regulators last week.

On Friday, the federal government acknowledged the filing and agreed to the plan.

The problem involves a potential for oil to leak on the exhaust manifold during hard braking. When a car operates under normal conditions, the manifold can get very hot.

Oil that runs below the manifold's heat shield could ignite and spread to plastic channels that hold spark plug wires.

As a solution, the company recommends a change in the bracket that holds spark plug wires, which will be done free of charge.

Owners and dealers affected by the recall will be notified by letter next month with details.

The vehicles involved are:
    • 1997-2003 Buick Regals.
    • 1998-2003 Chevrolet Luminas, Monte Carlos and Impalas.
    • 1998-1999 Oldsmobile Intrigues.
    • 1997-2003 Pontiac Grand Prix.

GM issued a recall on a similar engine in 2008, according to the company's filing with the government. That problem was traced to a faulty gasket on the engine rocker cover.
    How does it take 11+ years to issue a recall? The most recent model on that list (2003 models) are almost out of their original warranty and now a recall is being issued?

Wonder if it has anything to do with "screw it the gov't is paying for it anyway"
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Mercer County)

Default Re: GM recall...

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Wonder if it has anything to do with "screw it the gov't is paying for it anyway"
    Ding! Ding! Ding! With the "surgical bankruptcy" forced by the government, now is the time to rush forward with any and every problem over the last decade.

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

(York County)

Well, look at it this way, at least it keeps jobs for the technicians that have to fix them.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by kevco View Post
    Well, look at it this way, at least it keeps jobs for the technicians that have to fix them.
    You are assuming GM will have enough money to pay the shops when the submit their bills of work to be paid for. Customers don't pay for the recall, service with it or parts so the shops won't see a dime, actually they will see a huge loss until GM sends them the checks.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(York County)

You are assuming GM will have enough money to pay the shops when the submit their bills of work to be paid for. Customers don't pay for the recall, service with it or parts so the shops won't see a dime, actually they will see a huge loss until GM sends them the checks.
    good point.

(Montgomery County)

If that info is true, that recall makes no sense. These engines have an oil leak problem and the solution is to re-route the spark plug wires? What am I missing? This recall must have been written up by one of the new government employees now attempting to run GM.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    If that info is true, that recall makes no sense. These engines have an oil leak problem and the solution is to re-route the spark plug wires? What am I missing? This recall must have been written up by one of the new government employees now attempting to run GM.
    I think the idea is its okay that the engines leak and its okay that they get really hot but the reason they are starting fires is because the plastic is there and that is what is lighting on fire.

(Montgomery County)

I think the idea is its okay that the engines leak and its okay that they get really hot but the reason they are starting fires is because the plastic is there and that is what is lighting on fire.

That still makes no sense because the info you posted states that the oil could ignite. So are they saying that it's ok that engines catch on fire as long as other materials nearby don't cause the fire to spread or grow larger? Ok, I guess it's cheaper to replace a bracket, than to fix the real problem. I don't know about other states, but burning engines in PA tend to fail the safety inspection, making the car illegal to drive until fixed.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    That still makes no sense because the info you posted states that the oil could ignite. So are they saying that it's ok that engines catch on fire as long as other materials nearby don't cause the fire to spread or grow larger? Ok, I guess it's cheaper to replace a bracket, than to fix the real problem. I don't know about other states, but burning engines in PA tend to fail the safety inspection, making the car illegal to drive until fixed.
    I have no idea, i just posted the article

(York County)

IMO I think this is horse crap. an oil leak is a maintenance issue. I know If i see a valve cover gasket leaking during an oil change I'd reccommend fixing it. GM is just covering their ass because greedy little sons of bitches are trying to get rich because their car/house burned up because they don't take care of their car.

Rerouting the spark plug wires does away with a cover/retainer that goes across the front of the valve cover which I'm guessing is holding in heat and drying out the seal causing all the leaks. I'm done probably 50 or so of these in the past 4 or so years. The thing that sucks about me doing this under a recall is that you get paid about half as much as you would normally get paid to do it customer pay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast