Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: .260 Remington

(Northampton County)

Default .260 Remington

I've been trying to find some info on the .260 Remington. I keep eyeballing the Savage Model 10s at Walmart for under $400 (they seem to be genuine Model 10s but a few years old) and I want to build one just for long range (well as long range as I can find in PA) target shooting. They don't have a .260 Rem but it would just be a barrel swap to go from the .243 or the .308 to the .260.

All ammo for it would end up being handloads. I just cannot find any real info on the .260 Remington round.

All I know about it is that it is a necked down .308 Winchester (or a necked up .243 however you want to look at it) and that the bullets used in it are on the long side.

I have some handloading info I just want to find some reviews on it and all I get with Google is some really short little blurbs.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: .260 Remington

I have a Remington Model 700 chambered in .260 Rem and I love it. The .264 bullet is great for long range accuracy. The ballistics are pretty similar to the 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser, another great long range cartridge.
    I've had good results with 120-140 grain bullets. I haven't tried any heavier than 140 but the ones I've tried that are lighter than 120 seem to be less accurate.
    The recoil is very mild, it's quite pleasant to shoot.
    The bullets are indeed on the long side, the ballistic coefficient is favorable to a barrel with a faster twist rate, 1:8?? I don't know what you'll find for an aftermarket barrel for a Savage, maybe you'd be better off searching for a Remington 700 already chambered for that round. (No, mine isn't for sale).
    $400.00 for the gun, a few $$ for a barrel and a few $$ for someone to re-barrel it for you, ... you might get lucky and find one ready to shoot for similar money.
    If you're looking to build a long range 6.5mm, keep your eyes open for a Swede. The Mauser actions are great, the ballistic performance is similar, aftermarket stocks and barrels aren't hard to find, the bullet is the same...
    I have a few of those too. (They aren't for sale either).

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    I have a Remington Model 700 chambered in .260 Rem and I love it. The .264 bullet is great for long range accuracy. The ballistics are pretty similar to the 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser, another great long range cartridge.
    I've had good results with 120-140 grain bullets. I haven't tried any heavier than 140 but the ones I've tried that are lighter than 120 seem to be less accurate.
    The recoil is very mild, it's quite pleasant to shoot.
    The bullets are indeed on the long side, the ballistic coefficient is favorable to a barrel with a faster twist rate, 1:8?? I don't know what you'll find for an aftermarket barrel for a Savage, maybe you'd be better off searching for a Remington 700 already chambered for that round. (No, mine isn't for sale).
    $400.00 for the gun, a few $$ for a barrel and a few $$ for someone to re-barrel it for you, ... you might get lucky and find one ready to shoot for similar money.
    If you're looking to build a long range 6.5mm, keep your eyes open for a Swede. The Mauser actions are great, the ballistic performance is similar, aftermarket stocks and barrels aren't hard to find, the bullet is the same...
    I have a few of those too. (They aren't for sale either).
    I figure I can get one from Wally World as a package for under $400 and collect the pieces a little at a time. I found Shilen barrels ready to drop in to the Savage action for $305 for a match barrel. It already has the Accutrigger so that is a plus. No matter what I get the stock will be replaced. Either by a Choate Ultimate Sniper stock (I've handled them and besides the pistol grip being a bit chunky I liked it) or a McMillan.

I don't need anything match accurate for a while. I need to shoot a lot more to get my abilities up to any kind of scratch. I have a decent amount of natural ability I get from my moms side of the family but it can only get me so far. Like hitting a steel target the size of a mans torso at 300yds with a single action .22lr revolver.

Plus I kinda want to be able to say I built the gun up from a Wally World package to something respectable.

(Lebanon County)

.260 won't let you down.
    Go for it, you'll be glad you did!

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Perry County)

http://demigodllc.com/articles/the-c...260-remington/

I have a DPMS LR in .260 Rem. Haven't started breaking it in yet.