Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default whistle pig whackin

im looking for a spot to waste some time off work (surgery and in bored)to go get some groundhogs around etown, marietta ,bainbridge area in lancaster county. anyone know anywhere?

Default Re: whistle pig whackin

I had know idea what a whistle pig was when I first saw the term just after I found this sight. I did have a problem with one under my shed. I went to the local dept of natural resources office to ask what I could do about it and said I had a whistle pig problem the girl behind the counter had no idea what I was talking about, just then a game warden came in, heard whistle pig looked at me and said you from PA. I go no why he goes that is the only place I ever heard that name before. By the way he said to shoot them any time just make sure my small game license is current.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Indiana County)

WOODCHUCKS (GROUNDHOGS): No closed season, except: Sundays; during the antlered and antlerless deer seasons; and until noon daily during the spring gobbler turkey season.

(Chester County)

Whistle Pig... lol. I remember the first time I heard my grandfather use that name. I've never heard any one else use it until now.

(Lancaster County)

i always heard that prariedogs where called whistle pigs
    V-DUB Shop!DUBNINJA 82

(Chester County)

Next time you see one out in a field, Whistle real loud with your fingers in your mouth. He/she will stand up and look at you. that's where I hear the name came from.

(Erie County)

I know if you sneak up and scare them they will squeal - kinda sounds like a whistle.

Ahhh such fond memories of a adventurous 14 year old boy in the country with plenty of free time and lots of whistle pigs to play with. Lets practice our commando skilz - LOL

Just be sure to eat or donate the meat. Unless your a pink mist fan.

(Delaware County)

Whenever I shoot some chucks I ussually cook them up for my dogs. I'll take all of the meat off and save it in tupperware containers in the fridge and mix it in with their fry food. I just don't like leaving things to rot. Years ago I had some chuck meat boiling in a pot and when my father got home he thought it was stew, so he cut up some carrots, celery, onion, tomatoes, and added some beef bullion and noodles. We ate that woodchuck stew and it was pretty damn good.

(Perry County)

I whacked 2 of the little buggers today. I use a H&R Handi-Rifle in .223 with a 3x9 Nikon Prostaff scope and an Outers Bi-pod. That is a handy little groundhog gun. It's got a heavy barrel but it's not to heavy to carry around all day(just like I did today, damn my feet are tired). I've killed 4 with it so far this year and my total is 6 confirmed, 1 probable and 3 misses. I don't fault the gun for the misses, they were all me. This is probably one of my favorite things to hunt. I can stay out all day without freezing my ass off, there are actually groundhogs around to shoot at, and the pressure is not on to fill the freezer like during deer season.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast