Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Counter-sue dead bad guys family?

The talk of civil suits in recent threads has brought me to an odd question. I don't know if it's been asked before but searching would probably yield no applicable threads. So here goes..

Can you sue in civil court the family of the person who tried to take your life but in the process lost thier own?

Would this only work as a counter-suit?
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Counter-sue dead bad guys family?

This is a good question. I don't the answer though, I am sure someone here does.

I still think it's bullshit that their family can sue the victim that defended themselves. hmmm.

(Luzerne County)

In theory it sounds like a good idea. Sue the parents of the person who tried to rob/kill/rape, etc you because of the effect it has taken on you.

Sue them on the grounds that they failed to raise their child to uphold the law, etc.

Of course you would be seen as a money grabber.....whereas the family that sues you is looking for justice and civil compensation.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post

Of course you would be seen as a money grabber.....whereas the family that sues you is looking for justice and civil compensation.
    this is why I think it may only work as a counter suit.

You're now going to suffer some form of PTSD and have some god awful anchor of dread dragging you down for the rest of your life knowing you had to take another mans life. I mean who got the shit end of the stick? Yeah, the bad guy is dead but YOU have to deal with it for the rest of your life.
    ETA: If the family didn't want this to happen maybe they should have raised their kid right. Not seek money because their son unsuccessfully tried to kill someone and died in the process.

I think the civil suit after a shooting is bullshit to begin with, but if we're going by that logic, then the survivor should be the one getting the money, not the dead bad guys family
    Last edited by jcabin; April 12th, 2009 at 04:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Delaware County)

Hmmm, nice thought, good luck with that. Parents\wife sue you for nothing but protecting yourself. You sue them for, him\her being being stupid?

I hate the judicial system. No win situation for you.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Northampton County)

Can you sue in civil court the family of the person who tried to take your life but in the process lost thier own?
    I'm not a lawyer..but I think it would go like this.....
    A suit against a BG's family would not go far...unless they played a part in the crime...such as provided transportation or a weapon...ect or were negligent is allowing something to happen on their property that enabled the BG. I believe the parents of the perps in the Colimbine shootings were sued.

I'm thinking perhaps you'd try to sue his estate. Real lawyers feel free to jump in.

Most/almost all street/blue collar criminals have nothing in terms of assets so you would be trying to get blood from a turnip.....& thus wasting your time & money.

Quote Originally Posted by reverserboy View Post
    I'm thinking perhaps you'd try to sue his estate. Real lawyers feel free to jump in.

Most/almost all street/blue collar criminals have nothing in terms of assets so you would be trying to get blood from a turnip.....& thus wasting your time & money.
    Well, the Commonwealth says I'm a real lawyer and this is exactly right. Sue estate - no money = why bother.

(Montgomery County)

Send them a bill for the ammo used, time and effort into sending your firearm to a gunsmith to make sure it's still in good condition, cleaning of your home to make sure there are no pathogens left from the blood (crime scene clean up services), replacement of my clothing and anything that remided me of the incident etc. Pretty much all the crazy things an anti would sue a gun owner for, and turn it around.

I wouldn't sue for anything due to psychological reasons just for the idea it could be turned around on you to deny a LCTF.

(Northampton County)

Well, the Commonwealth says I'm a real lawyer and this is exactly right. Sue estate - no money = why bother.
    Thanks for the reply.

OK..so we have 3 attorneys on PAFOA.......very good.

Now,if we can get some doctors to join,I can get free medical advice also.

Just joking.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by reverserboy View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

OK..so we have 3 attorneys on PAFOA.......very good.

Now,if we can get some doctors to join,I can get free medical advice also.

Just joking.
    Ask away. We will be glad to give you free medical advice. The American Medical Association gives gun advice so why can't we give medical advice?