Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Wait for .308 or grab a .223?

I am going back and forth in my head on what I should get. I traded in my S&W AR-15 back in September and ordered a DPMS LR-308 TAC20 that was supposed to come in in the beginning of February. It has yet to come in because they are so freakin backordered! There is a gun show in the beginning of May that I am going to (the assault weapons/ machine gun one) and I would probably be able to find a nice AR-15 there. I doubt they would have any .308 AR's because they are very rare now-a-days, but who knows. I don't know wether to get an AR-15 there or wait to see IF my .308 comes in before Yo Mama bans them. What would you do? And does anyone know how backed up DPMS is on there orders? It's been like 9 months now! I WANT MY BABY!

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Wait for .308 or grab a .223?

What do you plan on using it for?

(York County)

punching holes in paper mostly at maximum 200 yards at my range an occasionally maybe 300-400 yards in the middle of nowhere, and adding on to my zombie arsenal.

also, in the late , late, late future when i have the money I will put a Trijicon 4x ACOG on it. (too bad they cost more than the gun)

(Allegheny County)

Based on that, I'd go with the .223.
    No need to spend extra an a firearm that will really start to shine past 300m if you're not going to be shooting it at those kinds of ranges.
    And though I don't think that the O man is going to make a move on our gun rights anytime soon (not enough support yet), waiting that long for a backordered gun would drive me crazy.
    Plus, the ammo's a little cheaper in .223
    That's my two cents worth, but ultimately go for what you want!
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force! Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action. - George Washington

(Dauphin County)

I'd go for .223 if it is your only one, then dabble in other stuff. If you plan to use this rifle in any possibly SHTF scenario where you'll be hiking a lot you'll appreciate the lighter rifle and ammo. That is just one reason, besides all the obvious ones like cheaper ammo, etc.

(York County)

I'm thinking the same thing. But at the same time, How hard is it to come across .223 ammo right now? I heard it gets bought up quickly.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7dude View Post
    I'm thinking the same thing. But at the same time, How hard is it to come across .223 ammo right now? I heard it gets bought up quickly.
    I'd say that's true of any major caliber these days... But the ammo is still out there, you might just have to go looking for it. Or you could just order it online....
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force! Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action. - George Washington

(Northampton County)

Think about this for a minute.........you had a nice AR in .223 and you got rid of it because you wanted a .308 right? So wouldn't it be kinda silly, not to mention irritating to realize how much you lost on the deal with the price hikes like they are since Sept, to just settle for another .223 AR?

I'd wait, or do the sensible thing and buy both.

(York County)

sorry, i forgot to mention my AR-15 sold for a little over $1,000 because it didn't go until November, wonder why. It had a cheap quad rail and a $100 scope on it so I think I got my money back because I paid $800 new for it a while back. I wouldn't feel too bad about buying another .223 instead of waiting for a .308. I just want something cool to shoot. And I have a funny feeling that I am going to be walking out of the gun show with one or the other because, sad to say, I don't see my .308 coming in anytime soon.

Do a litle window shopping and compare the price of .223 to .308 ammo and figure out how much shooting you usually do. If you only are punching paper,
    I would go with the one that has the least amount of recoil in the wallet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast