Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default My First Glock - My First Questions

FYI..This is my first post ever on these forums, so please look past the fact that I am a forum newb, although I have reffered to these forums countless times for advice. Thought it would be an ideal time for me to join.

So recently I picked up my first Glock 19 9mm. I enjoy it, not only for me, but also for my girlfriend who is quite frail when it comes down to firearms. I was looking into vast amounts of accessories for it and came across two that I was hoping someone could clear up for me.

1. I was looking into the Glock Recoil Buffer (seems someone redundant for such a small gun), but anything to help out for my girlfriend, and potentially increase the life of the gun. (something like http://www.buffertech.com/stores/1/R...CK_reg_P11.cfm). I strolled across one website (and only one) that claimed that such recoil buffers have been prominantly known to cause more problems than benefits, and that they may mess up propper feeding. Can anyone confirm this? or Is this actually a reliable product?

2. CrimsonTrace. So I did my own research determining between CrimsonTrace and LaserMax and decided I would look into getting CrimsonTrace. However, does anyone know if this drastically effects the grip of the gun ? (i.e If I put this on, will it be substancial difference in the girth of the overall grip, or is it rather thin?)

Thanks for taking a look...ANY advice (aside from just these two questions) is very much appreciated.

-Mark - iPandemic

(Venango County)

Default Re: My First Glock - My First Questions

Welcome to the Dark Side!

Best thing is, take the thing out to the range, and shoot the crap out of it.....get used to it, break it in, and go....

I really don't know if the recoil buffer thing will extend pistol life, the design of the glock is simplistic enough, and things really don't happen from recoil. Now, if the recoil is a problem for her, than maybe you might think about it.....IF she hasn't shot before, maybe find someone with something smaller and have her work up to the 9mm.

I have no experience with the lasers.....

Live the 4 rules like your life depends on it.....someday it might
    Be safe, and have fun!

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Philadelphia County)

I've shot a Glock 19 with a crimson trace. It adds a few mm to the sides and rear of the grip. It rides high, up against the beavertail. There is a button on the backstrap, so the laser is only on when you grip firmly. That can be convenient for not shining the laser at inopportune times.

I managed to shoot it without much trouble, but I can imagine that my wife might have difficulty since the standard Glock 19 grip is as large as she can handle.

(Lackawanna County)

Awsome. Thanks for the input.

Save your money on the buffertech & spend it on a grip plug. Helps tac reloads & keeps crap out of the grip. Only downside is with it installed you can't use a pistol lanyard.

My wife is a petite woman and has absolutely no problems with my G19. After becoming comfortable with shooting she now prefers a snubby .38 that (In my opinion) kicks like hell.

No need to worry about Glock durability. They are true workhorses. Mine has fed everything I've given it. Not a single FTF/FTE with OEM mags.

Congratulations on your purchase.

i just picked up my first glock yesterday a 19 with a desantis scorpion IWB, just got back from dunkin donuts, feels good. cant wait to get out and shoot it, i never shot a glock before...
    FJB

(York County)

Great gun, the 19! One of Glock's finest, if not the best.
    Read the manual thoroughly and know your gun.
    Remember, there's no magazine disconnect. If you eject the mag and there's a round in the chamber, it will fire. I prefer no mag disconnect, but since you have to pull the trigger to put the gun back in the Glock box...just never forget that round in the chamber!!! Check it twice!

(Philadelphia County)

Nice gun.

I +1 the idea of leaving the recoil buffer out. Leave the gun stock.

For lasers, I'd get the LaserMax. Its a GREAT unit. Very easy to use while adding no odd grip changes.
    Plus, the LaserMax unit has a flashing(almost strobe like) red dot unlike the Crimson trace(solid).
    The idea here is, and I find it to be very true, the eye can focus onto a flashing red light quicker.

(Blair County)

Welcome home... We've been waiting for you!
    ~ Luke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies! ~

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    Read the manual thoroughly and know your gun.
    You are talking to a science geek...I read, re-read, and then go back and do the whole thing over.. I think I still have it on the back on the toilet as my own personal reading material...And thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by biggs88 View Post

For lasers, I'd get the LaserMax. Its a GREAT unit. Very easy to use while adding no odd grip changes.
    Plus, the LaserMax unit has a flashing(almost strobe like) red dot unlike the Crimson trace(solid).
    The idea here is, and I find it to be very true, the eye can focus onto a flashing red light quicker.
    Here is my main reason for choose Crimson over LaserMax. I may be wayy wrong, but it was my own personal logic. If I go to the range or what have you, and decide to put a bunch of round down range, I feel that the LaserMax may get quite dirty, thus dulling the visibility of the laser. Where as I wouldnt be having that much of an issue with Crimson. PLease..If im wrong, correct me...Im still new to the pistol acc. scene.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast