Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Mercer County)

Thumbs up Open Season on Criminal

'Open season' declared on Mason Co. criminals
    08:13 PM PDT on Thursday, April 9, 2009
    By ERIC WILKINSON / KING 5 News

http://www.king5.com/topstories/stor....bc7bce1a.html

SHELTON, Wash. -- In response to proposed public safety cuts in Mason County, a county commissioner is encouraging people to take up arms.

Mason County prides itself on its gritty, rugged individualism. So much so that with the sheriff's department facing nearly $400,000 in cuts - up to five deputies - the county commissioner made a very public declaration.

"It certainly is 'open season,'" said Tim Sheldon, chairman of the Mason County Commission. "There is no bag limit on criminals who try a home invasion in our communities."

The commissioner suggests that if more people in his county armed themselves and got the proper training, it could help offset cuts to law enforcement.

The sheriff's department worries such strong language could push people to vigilantism - and that gun-toting civilians taking the law into their own hands would put an ever greater strain on the sheriff's department.

"It's not the wild west. It's not a frontier," said Deputy Chief Dean Byrd. "It would certainly increase our work load because not only are we investigating the crime the bad guys commit, but we are investigating a shooting and a potential crime there too."

The sheriff's department worries about civilians taking the law into their own hands.
    Sheldon is sticking to his guns. He believes half of all the people in Mason County are gun owners and would be more than willing to help fight crime.

"I won't say vigilante days, but we’re back to days when there wasn't very much law around," Bob Clark said. "We live in a very remote area and it's a constant worry."

Sheldon was quoted in a local newspaper as calling people on Seattle’s Queen Anne and Capitol Hill "wimps." He has since backed off that statement.
    __________________________________________________ _____

Commissioner Tim Sheldon has one large set, I don't care what party supports him, I have to say on this issue I agree with him 100% and would be all for sending him a one way plane ticket to PA. We need people like him in office.

I don't know what's wrong with our elected mayors, commissioners, sheriffs, senators, congressmen, etc at all levels of government. When will these people realize that less law enforcement and more unemployment equals more crime.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Open Season on Criminal

I'll help chip in for a ticket!

Unfortunately for those already in power, they will probably never learn, until perhaps a day comes when they personally feel the pain and consequence of their own reasoning. Then they will ask themselves "why was nobody there to help?"
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force! Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action. - George Washington

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Decholder View Post
    I'll help chip in for a ticket!

Unfortunately for those already in power, they will probably never learn, until perhaps a day comes when they personally feel the pain and consequence of their own reasoning. Then they will ask themselves "why was nobody there to help?"
    Notice the one in that article expressing concern over people arming themselves is the guy who probably carries 24/7 and is generally accompanied by at least one other armed individual.

(Lebanon County)

Just the thought that citizens defending their families and homes would be supported by the powers that be should be enough to have a significant effect on criminal activity.

The sheriff's department worries such strong language could push people to vigilantism - and that gun-toting civilians taking the law into their own hands would put an ever greater strain on the sheriff's department.
    If the bad guys are afraid to do the crime in the first place there wouldn't be a greater strain due to vigilantism, their (sheriff's department) workload would decrease.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Lancaster County)

I would like to see more cities do this. It would show criminals we're tired of their bullcrap. And we want are streets back. It also puts gun owners in a better light to some that think we are bad guys. But like the commissioner said people need the training.
    I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six!