Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Stock upgrading. Can I do this myself?

I'm buying a Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308

I'm also buying a Bell and Carlson Tactical Medalist stock to replace the original stock
    as soon as I get it home.

How difficult is it to do this myself?

I'm a newbie to this type of work, but I am very handy and adept at figuring
    things out.

Any tutorials out there? Do I even need one or is it simply a matter of removing screws and moving everything to the new stock?

Default Re: Stock upgrading. Can I do this myself?

Howdy skyjerk, I own a Bell & Carlson so I will be able to help you. It isn't very difficult at all to change the stocks. For the most part, it is just removing some screws. Since you own a newer rifle, you probably won't have any problems, but Remington has changed the bottom metal over the years. What this means is that sometimes the bottom metal doesn't quite fit the inlet on the stock correctly. The bottom metal should sit flush with the stock, BESIDES the drop plate. But anyway, it's not something that's hard to correct if it's not right. Bell & Carlson does include directions on how to do this and I can walk you through it if you need help. If the bottom metal sits a bit too low, it's as easy as just addind a thin washer between the action screw and the bottom metal to correct. Since you're handy and good at figuring out things, it shouldn't be a problem at all to swap stocks. As I said, if you have any question or problems we can go over it in this thread or PM. Best of luck to you.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Stock upgrading. Can I do this myself?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    Howdy skyjerk, I own a Bell & Carlson so I will be able to help you. It isn't very difficult at all to change the stocks. For the most part, it is just removing some screws. Since you own a newer rifle, you probably won't have any problems, but Remington has changed the bottom metal over the years. What this means is that sometimes the bottom metal doesn't quite fit the inlet on the stock correctly. The bottom metal should sit flush with the stock, BESIDES the drop plate. But anyway, it's not something that's hard to correct if it's not right. Bell & Carlson does include directions on how to do this and I can walk you through it if you need help. If the bottom metal sits a bit too low, it's as easy as just addind a thin washer between the action screw and the bottom metal to correct. Since you're handy and good at figuring out things, it shouldn't be a problem at all to swap stocks. As I said, if you have any question or problems we can go over it in this thread or PM. Best of luck to you.
    Thanks man. I expect to have all the parts in a week or so and if I run into something I dont understand I'' look you up for sure.

Thanks for the reply