Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default Re: Need some legal help, first time user

On the PA State Police background check you get the results right away. I've used it 3 times, as well as an independent service for police related employment.
    Also on the family transfer/gifting I "think" its based more on the level of a family member (father) passed away and the gun is given to a son/daughter.
    Last edited by 1927A1; April 10th, 2009 at 10:29 AM. Reason: additional info added
    Jack

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1927A1 View Post
    On the PA State Police background check you get the results right away. I've used it 3 times, as well as an independent service for police related employment.
    Also on the family transfer/gifting I "think" its based more on the level of a family member (father) passed away and the gun is given to a son/daughter.
    Incorrect. The law permits transfer absent usual paperwork between parent, child, grandparent, grandchild or spouse, and can be used at any time, not just when there's a death.

All this assumes that the recipient not be a prohibited person.
    §6111. Sale or transfer of firearms.
    (c) Duty of other persons.-Any person who is not a licensed importer, manufacturer or dealer and who desires to sell or transfer a firearm to another unlicensed person shall do so only upon the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or county sheriff's office, the latter of whom shall follow the procedure set forth in this section as if he were the seller of the firearm. The provisions of this section shall not apply to transfers between spouses or to transfers between a parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and grandchild.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by tail pipe todd View Post
    Here's an idea, go to the county courthouse in the county your were arrested (if you can remember) as get the court record from the county clerks office. Or better yet, do it without leaving home.

Here:

http://ujsportal.pacourts.us/docketsheets/cp.aspx

How many times were you arrested and convicted? You said some drug convictions, that is not looking too good right now. No, your wife should do a straw pruchase for you unless she wants to explore some new found federal legal issues.

How many times were you arrested and convicted? You said some drug convictions, that is not looking too good right now. No, your wife should NOT do a straw purchase for you unless she wants to explore some new found federal legal issues.

What you meant to say!
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by tail pipe todd View Post
    You said some drug convictions, that is not looking too good right now.
    Just a minor correction here, the OP said non drug related offenses

I am just nervous about a couple of non violent, non drug related misdemeanors jamming me up from purchasing my self.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Just a minor correction here, the OP said non drug related offenses

+1

While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Centre County)

Here is my free legal advice

- Don't use free legal advice

Judge: "Did you know your actions were in violation of Pennsylvania Law?"

Free Internet Law Advice Guy: "I wasn't sure so I PM'ed a guy whose username on a gun website was "GunLawyer." I told him my prior offenses and he said it was okay."

Judge: "Seriously? WTF? -- Guilty, next case."

Let me see if I get this right, he should pay for a criminal history check to see what he already knows. And it is wrong to ask a lawyer for his "educated opinion" in an area that he has experience in unless he pays for it. And if he does get an answer from a person who claims to be a lawyer he should not use it because he is an internet lawyer. Sounds like he should be saying WTF!

Quote Originally Posted by wsd302 View Post
    Let me see if I get this right, he should pay for a criminal history check to see what he already knows. And it is wrong to ask a lawyer for his "educated opinion" in an area that he has experience in unless he pays for it. And if he does get an answer from a person who claims to be a lawyer he should not use it because he is an internet lawyer. Sounds like he should be saying WTF!
    I can't say that I blame anyone for failing to understand the way things work here in the USA, since your attitude is being encouraged by the Nanny State advocates. They actively push the idea that anything that's really important should be free (or at least paid for by strangers), like housing, food, education, medical care, and high-speed Internet access. That doesn't make a 50-hour work week make much sense, if you can get 90% of what you're currently paying for by staying home.

I can't say that I like it, though.

If you seriously want to second-guess the advice of lawyers, you should probably finish High School, get yourself a Bachelor's degree, do well on the LSAT, get into a good law school, spend another 3 years getting a law degree, then practice in the area of your choice until you get some practical experience and know what you're talking about.

My attitude is based on the simple thought of, if I can help somebody I will do it and not expect a thank you in return. I am comfortable with the thought I have made a difference in a few lives and do not feel the need to verify it to you or anyone else for that matter. If you want to make character attacks feel free, I will not respond in the same manner. If my fellow man needs a little helping hand up, I will free of charge.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by wsd302 View Post
    My attitude is based on the simple thought of, if I can help somebody I will do it and not expect a thank you in return. I am comfortable with the thought I have made a difference in a few lives and do not feel the need to verify it to you or anyone else for that matter. If you want to make character attacks feel free, I will not respond in the same manner. If my fellow man needs a little helping hand up, I will free of charge.
    I have some SERIOUS friggin yard work to do, you in?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast