Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Springfield 1903 RIA

Dear Sirs,

Please help me find a fair price for a gun in my collection that I will probably need to sell. It is a Springfield 1903. On the top of the chamber, it says: "U.S. Rock Island Arsenal Model 1903"

Below that, there is a 5-digit serial number that is difficult to read. On the barrel, there are the letters: "SA"

On the top of the sight cover, it says: "Watson." Below that, there is a symbol of a grenade. Under that, there is the date of manufacture: 9-09. Under that, there is the letter A. I can describe the condition of the rifle as excellent. If the age is considered, then it can be said to be in perfect condition.

If you give me your email address, I can send you a few pictures of it.

Thanks in advance,
    Pavel

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Springfield 1903 RIA

In my experience, 1903 Springfields are becoming increasingly rare. I remember about 15 years ago you could get a good quality one for around $400 but the prices have risen significantly recently.

You have a low serial-numbered Rock Island 03. It is deemed not safe to shoot. This is from the CMP Sales site:

"*WARNING ON “LOW-NUMBER” SPRINGFIELDS
    M1903 rifles made before February 1918 utilized receivers and bolts which were single heat-treated by a method that rendered some of them brittle and liable to fracture when fired, exposing the shooter to a risk of serious injury. It proved impossible to determine, without destructive testing, which receivers and bolts were so affected and therefore potentially dangerous.

To solve this problem, the Ordnance Department commenced double heat treatment of receivers and bolts. This was commenced at Springfield Armory at approximately serial number 800,000, and at Rock Island Arsenal at exactly serial number 285,507. All Springfields made after this change are commonly called “high number” rifles. Those Springfields made before this change are commonly called “low-number” rifles."

CMP is currently selling them for $350. Yours may be worth more to a collector depending on its condition.