Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: .357 mag

(Luzerne County)

Default .357 mag

I know everyone will say whatever feels good to me, But I want opinions on .357 mag under or around $500. THe ones I am especially thinking of and I have shot are taurus 66 s&w 686 ruger gp100. They all feel good still can't decide.

Default Re: .357 mag

Quote Originally Posted by cadence2arms View Post
    I know everyone will say whatever feels good to me, But I want opinions on .357 mag under or around $500. THe ones I am especially thinking of and I have shot are taurus 66 s&w 686 ruger gp100. They all feel good still can't decide.
    If it was me i'd go with the Ruger or Smith. Not a big fan of Taurus although they make some decent products. Rugers are heavy and built like a tank and Smiths are lighter and real nice as well.

I'd save the money i'd get by buying the Ruger and buy some ammo. I have a gp-100 and love it to death. Just but a Hogue Monogrip Tamer on it and love it even more.
    Reputation is what I strive for.

What are your main uses for the gun? Are you going to use it for target practice, carry, or home defense?

I love my Ruger SP101, but it would not be my first choice for target shooting. I never had a larger framed .357, so I cant tell you about them, but if you are looking for a great home defense gun, or an even better CC backup, you can't go wrong with an SP 101.

(Luzerne County)

Well i'm looking for something with a 6" barrel mainly for target and when I'm out in the woods. I usually carry my xdm 9mm but when I hit the trail I want something that packs more of a punch. Plus i figured I could save some bucks on ammo target shooting with .38 spl s

(Centre County)

I love my 686! Which I bought for little over $400
    Its beefy, manly, and man is it accurate...

K frame S&W is nice too. You can usualy find nice one for around $300~$350 if you look around..

this is target from my recent outing with my wheel gunz.

Tight group on center(all touchin one and other) is with my 686, using Remington 125gr .38SP +P SJHP at about 15yds. All DA shooting.
    Just below that is same ammo/distance with Model 65 pictured above. Again, all DA shooting.
    And all around it is with Taurus Model 85 with 4" barrel using Federal classic 158gr .38special lead round nose(its not overly accurate gun. Gets little better accuracy with jacketted ammo)

Ruger is nice too tho. But I'm partial to S&W.
    Last edited by Mity2; April 9th, 2009 at 05:37 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Bucks County)

I have a 686 with a 6" barrel and it is an AMAZING target gun. 38 special doesn't have any kick. .357 magnum is completely controllable. I paid around 450$ for mine. Double action isn't bad and single action is nice and crisp.

My only regret is not buying the S&W model 27 I saw for 350$.

-Zach

(Lackawanna County)

I vote 686 too. I've shot Rugers before, good pistols, but prefer the trigger on the Smith.
    "Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"

(Luzerne County)

I have to look t it this way too, taurus 66 for $400 new. or s&w 686 for over five hundred. Is that about what I'll pay?

(Lackawanna County)

You can save yourself a little and go with the 586, just have to keep after it a little more.
    "Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"

I'm partial to the 4 inch GP100. It was the first gun I ever used for competitive shooting and the only one that I've ever won any matches with. The one I have has the best trigger I've ever felt on a revolver. Light, clean and crisp. It's had tens of thousands of rounds put through it over the past 20+ years, so that's probably helped smooth out the trigger...a little...

Built like an A-10 Warthog. More accurate than I'll ever be. Worth every penny.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast