Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default 20 ga Slug reloading - anyone ever try this?

I’m trying to find a 20 Gauge slug that I can reload that will have some accuracy.

I've tried the Lyman sabot a while back and didn't have much luck with it, I've since sold it.

I got into 12 Ga using the Lee slug and I am pleased with it, it's not the best slug I’ve used, but when I take the price into consideration I can live with losing the accuracy at further ranges.

Looking into loading the 20 again I'm trying to find a slug I can use and load for cheep. The Lyman sabot (and other commercial rounds I’ve measured) have all been about .576 diameter.

I got my hands on a 350 grain .58 Lee Real mold. It makes cast slugs with dimensions shown below in the pics. (fyi, the arrows are pointing to the rings, not the area between the rings)

Here is a better pic of the slugs.

For anyone not familure with the Lyman or lee slugs, they use standard shot wads, they is why they are smaller than typical foster type slugs. Since there is no lead to barrel contact, they are both also safe to use in fully rifled barrels, and the Lee slug states it is also safe for smoothbore.

Has anyone ever tried using this slug? If my measurements are right .580 going to be to tight once the slug is seated in the wad. I know the “rifled slugs” for smoothbores are actually there to allow for barrel/choke differences, and the fins (rifling) on the slug allow for the slug to be squeezed thru tighter barrels, so I’m thinking the rings on this .58 slug may act in the same way, but it might not.

Added: Ive been able to make a sizer that will size the slugs down to .576. So im gonna try that, in case anyone is interested.

~Garrick_
    Last edited by Garrick_; April 9th, 2009 at 11:12 PM. Reason: cleared things up a bit