Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default cleaning tips or aid for .45 kimber ultra carry

To breakdowm this kimber .45 ultra carry pistol for cleaning seems difficult . Am looking for a tip or aid to help doing 3 things at once.1)holding the slide back to the 1/2 circle alignment mark while inserting "takedown pin"
    2)not allowing the "beavertail" to be pressed in
    3)removing the slide lock pin

Respectful thanks!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: cleaning tips or aid for .45 kimber ultra carry

I have a Kimber Eclipse Pro, and the way I do it is racking the slide back, engage the slide lock, insert the takedown tool into the guide rod, then line up and remove the slide lock. And from there it is easy to remove the slide without engaging the grip safety. There are other ways to do it though, this is just what I use.
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force! Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action. - George Washington

(Philadelphia County)

I'll have to try this, Decholder. I have a Kimber Pro Carry II. Thanks!

(Monroe County)

This how I show first time Kimber Ultra Carry buyers to tear them down. The little tool always seems to go MIA and/or if it is your daily carry gun and while at the range you need to tear it down for whatever reason then you are better off knowing how to without that little tool or bent paperclip

First, drop the mag and clear the chamber.

2. rack the slide back and use the hold open.

3. release the slide and hold it with your right hand with the tear down groove lined up. You'll notice in the pic that your thumb is holding UP on the beaver tail so the fireing pin safety won't lift up and jam the slide on you.

4. I lock my middle finger in the trigger guard and use my pointer finger AKA booger picker to reach around and push out the slide lock pin

5. pull the slide lock the rest of the way out using your left hand while the right hand is still hold the slide in position

6. pull the slide off and lay it on a flat surface in front of you.

7. the tricky part but after you do it a couple times it becomes second nature and easy to do. both thumbs against the back of the recoil assembly. Both booger pickers pull straight back on the little lip on the guide rod bushing.

8. lift up on the back of the guide rod with both thumbs while holding pressure on the guide rod bushing. You can now lift the whole unit out of the slide.

9. now you can clean the guide rod,spring and bushing without fighting with the little tool. Just make sure that if you take the spring off the rod that you put it back on with the cut/open end facing out!

this only works for the Ultra carry because the Pro carry doesn't have the small lip on the guide rod bushing.

Hope that helps, it would be better in video but I am no where near that advanced yet in computer use. Sometimes it is a chore for me to just turn the thing on

Rich W.

(Luzerne County)

I have only done it useing the tool. Its not that bad. I will have to try Riches way.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.