Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default fly selection for this time of year..... help please

i have my fly rod i bought 2 years ago and never used and i want to get out this weekend hopefully and try it.

what kind of flies to use in york pa out near the susquehanna by the hydro-electric plant. i was at gander mountain and there are so many different types does anybody have any suggestions for this time of year/this area

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: fly selection for this time of year..... help please

One trick to learn is:

go out to the fishing area and just sit and watch the water and the bugs flying around at that given time of year. then use a fly that closely resembles what is around at that time. Different times of the year has different "blooms" of bugs.

Buy as big of a selection as you can afford or are willing to invest. Trout generally go for what bug is actually there, but horsefly and bee looking things are fairly reliable flies for me. Bass are stupid and will hit just about anything that looks like its worth their while.. Panfish like anything housefly sized and resembling as such, to some weird colored things of the same size. YMMV though for your area.

(Lebanon County)

cross the river over to middletown and hit clouser's shop up.
    he'll hook you up. and you'll be supporting a true m&p flyshop.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    One trick to learn is:

go out to the fishing area and just sit and watch the water and the bugs flying around at that given time of year. then use a fly that closely resembles what is around at that time. Different times of the year has different "blooms" of bugs.

Buy as big of a selection as you can afford or are willing to invest. Trout generally go for what bug is actually there, but horsefly and bee looking things are fairly reliable flies for me. Bass are stupid and will hit just about anything that looks like its worth their while.. Panfish like anything housefly sized and resembling as such, to some weird colored things of the same size. YMMV though for your area.
    x2. on all of the above. Cabelas and Bass Pro and other retailers generally carry good assortments, which are great for beginners.

Bottom line is that it is all about getting out to the stream and see what is hatching. A steam in one area may be chock full of nymphs, while another a few miles away has already hatched.

If you see trout coming to the surface it generally means that the insects are in the process or have already hatched. If you are in an area where you suspect there are fish, but don't see them feeding, they are more than likely nyphing (or aren't hungry ) I could go on for hours and really get in the weeds about it, so if you want any more info, shoot me a pm.

Went out this week after work to a stream on base (hence the getup) and did alright:

Semper Fidelis