Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default CC in a kayak/boat?

Kind of an offshoot of the CC while fishing thread I had a question. Do you CC while in a boat? Kayak? I usually CC everywhere I go unless for some reason I'm not allowed to. I usually creek fish and it was never a problem. I recently bought a kayak and the first day I took it out I was pushed hard and fast by a gust of wind, it spun me and the balance shifted and I rolled it in the middle of a lake. I lost a rod and thought I lost all my gear. I was really happy I didn't CC that day but I started thinking about a safe (for the gun) way to cc with the dangers of flipping over etc.

The last thing I want to do is lose the thing in the event of getting dumped. Any suggestions? I was thinking either get a IWB with a thumb strap or put it in a dry bag keeping it in the kayak just not on me but I would want to have it easily accessible if needed. I've already been in situations where someone has tried to rob me while hiking/fishing. I'd rather not deal with that again unprepared

Thoughts/Suggestions?

(Venango County)

Default Re: CC in a kayak/boat?

Any Good holster with some sort of retention would probably be fine.....AFAIK unless you are on DCNR or Army Corps of Engineer waters you would be legal. I wouldn't worry about a dry bag, modern pistols and ammo will function fine after getting dunked, although it may be a good idea to make sure the barrel is free of water before continuing on. IMO a dry bag would lead to it getting lost easier....

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by markheck1 View Post
    AFAIK unless you are on DCNR or Army Corps of Engineer waters you would be legal.

Thanks, also I thought we could carry in DCNR controlled areas now with a LTCF. The new law is in the Fishing regulations book for 09 and on their websites. Does that not include the water?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by markheck1 View Post
    ......modern pistols and ammo will function fine after getting dunked, although it may be a good idea to make sure the barrel is free of water before continuing on. IMO a dry bag would lead to it getting lost easier....
    I disagree with your ammo and water mix issue.

While it might seem that "modern" ammo will function after getting dunked, there is a great chance that water will seep into the primer and powder and when you need it the most, you get a miss-fire. One sure way around this is to take some clear nail polish and put a little around the primer and also where the bullet meets the brass.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by soup View Post
    Thanks, also I thought we could carry in DCNR controlled areas now with a LTCF. The new law is in the Fishing regulations book for 09 and on their websites. Does that not include the water?
    Could be....hence the AFAIK disclaimer

That's cool

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary737 View Post

While it might seem that "modern" ammo will function after getting dunked, there is a great chance that water will seep into the primer and powder and when you need it the most, you get a miss-fire. One sure way around this is to take some clear nail polish and put a little around the primer and also where the bullet meets the brass.

Might not be a bad idea, better safe than sorry.
    I don't know that I would call it a great chance, though. I mean we're talking seconds here.......if you're gonna be in the water for 1/2 hour or so you got bigger things to worry about. That being said, I would probably use up the ammo, and replace it with new if it got dunked.....

ETA Ding! the light bulb just went off! Carry extra ammo in a dry bag/ziplock, etc....if it worries you, just make sure it stays in the boat....

(Centre County)

Jeeeezus...
    I love guns, but...
    You have a better chance of getting hit by lightning 35 times on your way to the crapper today than you would ever need to unholster a gun from a kayak.
    The idea of paddling with a sidearm is just looney. Yes, bring it with you, but keep it loaded in an Otter Box in a secure area of the boat such that it won't be lost if the boat upsets.

PS: if the wind knocks you over, buy a more stable boat and/or learn how to kayak.
    Last edited by RandomTask; April 8th, 2009 at 10:11 AM.

(Franklin County)

I carried (OC) during a 3-day canoe trip last year. I did take one unplanned swim, but I have a Serpa retention holster, so I wasn't concerned about losing it. I did change out my carry ammo as a precaution, but upon test firing the rounds that got wet a few weeks later at the range, only 1 of 15 rounds did not fire (the ammo was submerged for about 10 minutes or so).
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by RandomTask View Post
    Jeeeezus...
    I love guns, but...
    You have a better chance of getting hit by lightning 35 times on your way to the crapper today than you would ever need to unholster a gun from a kayak.
    The idea of paddling with a sidearm is just looney.
    Apparently you have not seen "Deliverence". Had Ned Beatty been packin heat I am sure this fine cinematic experience would only have lasted 15 minutes.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary737 View Post

You realize it takes weeks for even oil, solvents, and cleaners to penetrate or get sucked into the loaded cartridge? The nail polish is a good idea for sure, but the absorption thing is well overblown.

A quick dunking and and even persistent rain and humidity wont likely do a thing to the ammo for several weeks, and that is if it actually stays wet the entire time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast