Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Local place to buy survival foods?

I am looking to purchase some emergency preparedness survival foods just in case. There seems to be thousands of websites selling this stuff. Does anyone know of any local Philadelphia area places that sell long term storage foods? If not available locally can anyone recommend a reputable website they have ordered from. I’m looking for this type of stuff.
    http://safecastleroyal.com/category_....-Pouches.html

(Berks County)

Default Re: Local place to buy survival foods?

check out places like Cabelas, REI, Campmor, Eastern Mountain Sports, Army Navy stores, etc... even Walmart if you want to buy small quantities at retail prices. if you're looking for large quantities at wholesale or any kind of 'multiple item' discount, i can't help ya there.

i know there are plenty of companies that make actual survival rations that are even shittier than MREs, but that last forever. there are even 'food bricks' that are an entire day's nutrition in one small bar. that's really hardcore, but definitely an option.

the stuff you linked to - Mountain House - is actually (relatively) quality food. most of it tastes great. i use them while backpacking and i love them. if you're looking for a survival ration type of thing, you might be able to save money by looking for other crappier tasting but more nutritious options. after all, if you're using your survival food supply, you probably don't care how good it tastes.

check out http://survivalacres.com/ - i found that just now via a quick google search. seems to have some good info as well as actual supplies.

(Lebanon County)

A buddy of mine sent me this to checkout a while ago. I saved it as a favorite but never really got to look around on the site.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/index.php
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun." Jeff Cooper

(York County)

This place works for most things, and I have ordered from them and not had any problems.
    Last edited by knight0334; April 8th, 2015 at 06:56 PM.

(Montgomery County)

I would look on ebay. Just make sure they are real mre's and you can see the date on them.

Then my next suggestion--after you have a case or 3 of the mre's for your BOB is to just stock up on the food you normally eat. It is a lot easier to rotate the food you eat on a regular basis than it is to put a case of mre's in the corner and never touch them.

My local supermarket constantly runs deals on 10 for $10 cans of raviolis‘, Progresso soup, pasta, pasta sauce, veggies, fruit, etc. Then just fill your cupboard up with those items you eat all the time. It doesn't take too long to have 6mos of canned / dry goods stored up---plus, you'll actually eat them. A steady diet of mre’s isn’t so good because they are so high in calories---to keep the soliders energized--so, unless you are working those calories off by strenuous activity they just aren‘t that good for ya.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    Then my next suggestion--after you have a case or 3 of the MRE's for your BOB is to just stock up on the food you normally eat. It is a lot easier to rotate the food you eat on a regular basis than it is to put a case of MRE's in the corner and never touch them.

My local supermarket constantly runs deals on 10 for $10 cans of raviolis‘, Progresso soup, pasta, pasta sauce, veggies, fruit, etc. Then just fill your cupboard up with those items you eat all the time. It doesn't take too long to have 6mos of canned / dry goods stored up---plus, you'll actually eat them. A steady diet of MRE's isn’t so good because they are so high in calories---to keep the soldiers energized--so, unless you are working those calories off by strenuous activity they just aren‘t that good for ya.
    Try not to stock up on to much stuff that you need water to cook with. Heat and serve stuff in a can is best to stock up with.

Don't forget to stock up on water. Big bottles for at home. And small bottles that can travel with you.

Don't forget to stock up on a way to get rid of human waste (toilet facilities) if the water is shut off. (Garbage Bags, Kitty Litter, and a 5 gallon bucket. They make a toilet seat that you can buy that clips right onto the bucket.)

I have been buying a bag or two of freeze dried food at Wal-Mart. They have it back in the camping section. I already have two cases of MRE's tucked away. And distributed among various B.O.B.'s that I have. Just trying to get a bit more variety tucked away.

Don't forget a stove to cook on. I have a two burner camping stove. Or if you have a gas barbeque. Go buy an extra tank or two for it. That way you won't run out of gas when you need it the most.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%