Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default 1911 Shooting Grip Advice

Not much instruction necessary, just some vindication.

I was out with a friend the other week, and he was showing me his new Springfield 1911, which is his first handgun. After a few minutes of taking turns popping off shots of what is a very nice carry piece, I noticed he doesn't use a 'high grip', aka keeping his right hand thumb on the thumb safety.

I tried to correct him in this, and it became an argument of the safety doesnt engage if not held down (his), and high grip is how everyone does it (mine).

So I want to ask, for those in the know, what are the reasons for keeping a high grip, with force of the safety at all times? I was under the impression that it was for (1) a positive disengagement of the safety, as it only takes a slight bump to engage it, and (2) better control, as it brings the grip closer to the center line of the barrel.

So why is it done that way?

CommondamnsillyautosHighrise

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: 1911 Shooting Grip Advice

You're right about both points, it helps with control and follow up shots, and it allows for a quick activation/deactivation of the thumb safety. If your friend is having issues with activating the safety grip, then perhaps he should look into getting a safety with a "tactical bump" on it.
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force! Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action. - George Washington

(York County)

It's nice to have the high grip (thumb riding on the safety) if your hands are big enough to use that type of grip comfortably. If your hands are small or it just doens't feel comfortable then thats fine. There really isn't a "right" way to grip the pistol just so long as it's comfortable to you and your engaging and disengaging the right safeties and you aren't going to lose the gun when it's fired. A friend of mine grips pistols with his strong hand and then grabs his strong wrist with his weak hand. I tried to get him to change his grip but he didn't. to each his own i guess.

(Schuylkill County)

I have big hands so the high grip thumbs high work for me very well for me, and since i learned to shoot with a 1911 i have always used the high thumbs hold. i would have to say that if it works for you then by all means go for it, but it is not the end all to how to hold and grip the 1911. the high grip will put the bore axis closer to your hand for more control and better slign ment.

(Lawrence County)

+1 to everything above.

I use a high hand, but plenty of people do not and shoot better than all of us (Brian Enos). I find a high handed grip helps me track easier and I really don't torque hard on the safety....my thumb just kind of firmly rests there.

You really aren't looking to fight against recoil ....and flip isn't so much of an issue .....if you get a nice, consistent bounce where the front sight drops cleanly and smoothly into the rear notch. That way you can shoot just by following the bouncing dot/post. Consistent recoil will always allow you to shoot faster than by fighting recoil.

Lycantryeverythingthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Erie County)

I shoot thumbs high with everything. Safety or not.

(Monroe County)

(Susquehanna County)

And I'm not even sure what in blazes you're talking about! I grip the pistol with the web of my hand as high as possible into the beavertail. But, my thumb stays below the safety.

If only a slight bump engages or disengages your thumb safety it's time to get it replaced!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Bucks County)

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Thumb below the safety, hand as high as the beavertail will allow was the way of military instruction for a number of years. With the advent of the two-handed holds and variants of the Weaver stance in the newer gun games, that has kind of changed, and there are a lot of advocates for either thumb above or thumb below safety. I don't think there is either a "right"or "wrong" way, but whatever gives you the most consistent results, feels comfortable, and scores higher would be "best" in each individual's practice.

I've shot bullseye for a number of years, and the thumb below worked best for me then. Stll feels comfortable, even two handed. YMMV

Flash

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast