Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Nikon rifle scopes

I know there are a bunch of scopes out there, and I'm pretty loyal to Nikon rifle scopes. I'd just like to hear if anyone has experience with the Monarch becuase I'd really like to invest in an upgrade to that one from a Bushnell that was given to me. Thanks in advance

(Berks County)

Default Re: Nikon rifle scopes

I have a bushnell sportview on my .308 (Ruger 77) decent scope for the price, holding up well, about 10 or so years now.

I also have a cheapo Nikon Prostaff on a .243, a lot of scope for the money and I am very happy with it.....a friend has a Nikon Monarch on a .260 and likes it also (loves the BDC reticle). Good scopes in my opinion. Make sure you like the reticle and view from it.

Everyones eyes and tastes are different, but I like Nikon's offerings.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Berks County)

Optics planet is OK...you may want to cross check prices over at SWFA...they have a good reputation for service and prices.

http://www.swfa.com/c-10-nikon-riflescopes.aspx

Good luck.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

I think that Nikon scopes have very clear glass, although I have NEVER looked through a Nikon Monarch. When you get around the $1,000 price mark though, you're looking to get into some pretty high quality scopes. Have you also considered some other options that are in that price range, or mainly just the Nikon? What exactly do you want to use the rifle for? Is it mainly going to be used for targets, hunting, or tactical type stuff? All of it will affect some of your options. In that price range, you're getting into Swarovski, Zeiss, etc, and I'm sorry but I'd take one of those over a Nikon for most applications.
    Last edited by Tomcat088; April 7th, 2009 at 04:14 PM.

(Clearfield County)

Three of my hand cannons sport Monarch's. The optics are extremely clear and as for durability take a close look at my Avatar. That's a Smith PC 500 mag. with a Monarch 2x. This scope has seen well over 1000 rounds and was only zeroed once and has never moved.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    I think that Nikon scopes have very clear glass, although I have NEVER looked through a Nikon Monarch. When you get around the $1,000 price mark though, you're looking to get into some pretty high quality scopes. Have you also considered some other options that are in that price range, or mainly just the Nikon? What exactly do you want to use the rifle for? Is it mainly going to be used for targets, hunting, or tactical type stuff? All of it will affect some of your options. In that price range, you're getting into Swarovski, Zeiss, etc, and I'm sorry but I'd take one of those over a Nikon for most applications.
    +1

Nikon has a great and well deserved reputation for optics, whether scopes, camera lens or medical instrumentation, but it's price per quality for sporting optics seems to peak around the upper midlevel range. If you want to spend $200-$500 for a high quality hunting scope, Nikon has a solution for you. If you want something better, and can afford it, I'd stick with one of the optics companies that specialize in high end optics and don't have a low end offerings.
    Last edited by str8shooter; April 8th, 2009 at 11:15 PM. Reason: missed one word, changed the whole meaning

(Allegheny County)

I'm a photographer and have always loved Nikon. When I was looking for scopes for my rifles, I looked long and hard at all the major (BIG) brands out there, including Bushnell, Nikon, Burris, Leupold, Swarovski, Trijicon, etc.

And of course, being a photographer, and having their top of the line products, I quickly realized how much of a rip-off scopes are -- when you think about the amount of precision glass in a $600 lens vs a $600 scope.... it's kinda heart breaking.

Anyways, I loved some of the Leupolds and Swarovskis, but they were just too pricy for me. I was looking for something <$400, and I feel that between around $200-$500, Nikon has the best bang for the buck. And as usual, their optics are fantastic, your picture is crystal sharp and bright! But if you're planning on investing more than that, Nikon's scopes hit diminishing returns. At that point, you're better off with the higher end brands mentioned by others above.

I have a Pro-staff on my .22 - absolutely love it. I have a Buckmark and a Monarch on my 2 other rifles. They're all great scopes, and I love them all.

Hope this helps!