Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Colt Woodsman "slamfire"

I have an older woodsman that doesn't seem to function properly any longer. Its slamfiring - meaning when a round is chambered and the slide is released it IMMEDIATELY fires the round... on top of that it doenst appear to cycle the slide either.

Any ideas? Ive stripped it down completely and cleaned everything, but same thing is happening. Is there a particular part that may be worn? Common issue with this pistol?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by /dev/null; April 6th, 2009 at 07:26 AM.

(Bedford County)

Default Re: Cold Woodsman "slamfire"

First, check to see that the firing pin isnt stuck in the forward position. If it is, that will cause a slam fire. Just do a quick check to see that the firing pin spring pushes the FP to the rear.

If the FP is working correctly, your problem is in the trigger/sear/hammer area.

Unless you know the workings of the Colt Woodsman, I would do the FP check then take it to a gunsmith that is familiar with the gun.

Default Re: Colt Woodsman "slamfire"

Quote Originally Posted by /dev/null View Post
    I have an older woodsman that doesn't seem to function properly any longer. Its slamfiring - meaning when a round is chambered and the slide is released it IMMEDIATELY fires the round... on top of that it doenst appear to cycle the slide either.

Any ideas? Ive stripped it down completely and cleaned everything, but same thing is happening. Is there a particular part that may be worn? Common issue with this pistol?

Thanks in advance
    Not too common. As posted previously, check to make sure the firing pin's free. After that, it starts getting model-specific. The majority of my experience is with the first model (1915-ca.1947).

If this is what you have make sure it has the high speed mainspring housing, and doesn't have too much slide peening from decades of use.

Also pull the slide back, put a *spent* casing (NOT A LIVE ROUND) in the chamber. With the slide back more than about 1/2", pull the trigger and slowly release the slide. The hammer must not fall as the slide goes into battery, if it does your pistol might have a worn sear or malfunctioning disconnector.

Have you been detail cleaning it? Woodman pistols aren't the easiest pistols to disassemble, but it can be mastered with a little care and research.

These guns were made to very high standards that we no longer see today. The first model Woodsmans were made specifically to beat the German pre-war Walther Olympic pistols, which should give a general idea just how good both pistols were.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Luzerne County)

I've seen this exact problem (maybe not due to the same reason as yours).
    with one of my personal Woodsman series II

As PAR pointed out. Not the easiest pistol to disassemble.

If you feel like a road trip bring it up and we'll give it a look.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Lehigh County)

Thanks y'all for the replies. I jsut got the Hoppes cleaned out from under my fingernails.... was down in my shop wiht the Woodsman torn down (completely)... I found the issue!

The sear was stuck completely against the frame. Seems years of shooting had let enough oil and crud buildup in the thing that the sear spring wasn't able to snap the sear back in place any longer. The thing was so mucked up that I thought it was put in there permanently the way it was (looked permanent to me)... A REAL good cleaning and re-assembly appears to have done the trick.

The only part I couldn't get apart was the firing pin.... not too sure how the firing pin stop holds everything in.... I worked on that for about 20 minutes and gave up. flood-cleaned the entire slide instead. After drying everything out and lubing the slide, all seems well. Ill get it to the rang in the next couple days and run some ammo through it - but at this point it behaves MUCH better than it did.

Appreciate the feedback.
    Last edited by /dev/null; April 6th, 2009 at 07:01 PM.