Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: duracoat

(Lancaster County)

Question duracoat

been hearing alot of good things about duracoat ,my question is how easy is it to use it i dont know anything about firearm finishing,im good with a spraycan(plastic models)i know you apply it with a airbursh,and do you sandblast the old finish off the fire arm before applying duracoat, tired of black rifles lol,give me military od anyday

thx all

triggerh4ppy
    Gott mit uns

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: duracoat

No personal experience with it but there are a few articles on surplusrifle.com

Here's one... http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2...coat/index.asp
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Delaware County)

KCZeppelin duracoated a Ithaca 37 for me and it came out really nice and it wasn't very difficult at all to do. It also wears very well. The process is to clean and degrease the parts to be sprayed then mix and spray your color. More info can be had at www.houtsenterprises.com and click on there duracoat link. Good luck and don't be scared it's not that bad at all to do.
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Berks County)

It is pretty durable and with the color selections and kits they offer it is pretty good (color wise better than gunkote).

I think the Gunkote (KG) brand is a little better for wear though. But that finish requires baking.

Preperation work is the key...sandblasting will give a good rough surface for the paint to adhere to. Degrease, degrease and if your not sure...degrease it again. The best jobs usually go back to good prep work.
    Last edited by 762xIan; April 28th, 2007 at 03:37 PM.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    It is pretty durable and with the color selections and kits they offer it is pretty good (color wise better than gunkote).

I think the Gunkote (KG) brand is a little better for wear though. But that finish requires baking.

Preperation work is the key...sandblasting will give a good rough surface for the paint to adhere to. Degrease, degrease and if your not sure...degrease it again. The best jobs usually go back to good prep work.
    yeah has to lean that the hard way when i was building plastic models ><
    Gott mit uns

Most of the finishing products don't require sand blasting if the firearm is parkerized or anodized.

Duracoats advantages is they offer tons of colors, which can be combined to have various camo patterns. Another plus (for some) is it does not require baking.

A disadvantage to using Duracoat is once you apply the Duracoat, it takes somewhere around 4 weeks to fully cure.

I personally prefer the thermal cured finishes over Duracoat because once it's baked, it's ready to go. I also like that they are more durable compared to Duracoat.

KG Gunkote offers more color options compared to Norrell's Moly Resin, but both are great products. I should have my Titanium Gray and FDE from KG next week for my PT1911 project. I will post pictures once I have completed the project.