Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Can A Walmart Setup go the distance..

I kind of wanted to post this little article about my complete rifle setup to see if it goes the distance. In accordance I want all of you to see the out come of this. First let me tell you of how much I spent on this little rig all together. Mind you all of this was purchased from walmart minus the 110gr. hollow point rounds. First I purchased the rifle Remington 700 SPS .308 for $419.00. Second I purchased the scope a Nikon 3-9-40mm Buckmasters for $199.00. Third I purchased the rings and bases they are Leupold rifleman's the bases were $6.95 and the rings were $16.45. I also bought a rock solid bipod I think it was around $16.00 and the slind was around $6.00. So total costs for the setup are $663.40 taxes not included. All together it looks like this..
    001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

As far as the rifle goes the only thing I did to it so far was to lighten the trigger pull to 4lbs. I did that myself and anyone that has the ability to turn a wrench can do the same. I will be taking it out to the range to shoot it. I will be shooting Winchester .308 150gr. Power Points and .308 110gr Sierra Hollow Points. The boxes look like this..
    005.JPG
    I will post what my outcome is for all of you to see what a truly walmart special setup can bring you. Personally I am satisfied with all that I've bought so far and it all together seems to be sturdy and reliable. The scope quality is very clear and I like the ability to move the turrets on it without the use of a coin and just my fingers. Please stay tuned for update..
    Thanks again Barry

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Can A Walmart Setup go the distance..

Cool stuff. How much would you have paid for all this if you would have bought it locally?

And let me know how that bipod works for you. I've been wanting one, but dont necessarily feel like spending $70 on it.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Luzerne County)

Very nice. I think you did well and would have a hard time getting the same for less. Less us know how it shoots!
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

(Bucks County)

Too bad all the Walmarts around Bucks / Mont no longer sell guns. Even Quakertown stopped

See...Wal-mart is not all evil.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    Sgt....Do NOT piss off the wife, do NOT piss off the wife!
    Army Strong

These are my opinions, my opinions only. If you are offended, please, please, call Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, I would like the notoriety.

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    Cool stuff. How much would you have paid for all this if you would have bought it locally?

And let me know how that bipod works for you. I've been wanting one, but dont necessarily feel like spending $70 on it.
    The Rock Mount bi-pods sold at some Wal-Marts aren't bad at all, I picked one up for a friend a while back to put on his 7mm magnum and he likes it alot.

I bought that one at the Wal-mart in Lynchburg, Va for somewhere around $40.00

Dicks Sporting goods carries the same thing for $60.00, I see where they get thier name.

All in all it's a nice stable bi-pod, I have two Harris bi-pods and in all honesty I can't tell the difference between the Rock Mount and the Harris. Thankfully I didn't pay full price on either of mine.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Franklin County)

doesnt look too bad. i cant wait to shoot it. and ill let you try out my new and improved 110 7mm-08. im getting a new scope and bipod.

(Franklin County)

Well today I go to shoot. The wife is going to play bingo with some friends and i really didnt want to so off to the prarie lol . If it does well at only 100 yards I will step it up for some farther shots and places the results online. As far as prices If I would have bought it elsewhere around here I would have been gouged to death. I live near a military base (ie FT. Riley ) so everyone seems to think they can jack prices up. I on the other hand am wise to their foolishness lol. So I went the next best route for saving some cash.. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

(Franklin County)

Well I got back from shooting and results are as follows. The recorded shots that I have shot are from after shooting for awhile so they are a little bigger than previous.
    First Shot is with the 150 gr Winchester Power Points
    001.JPG
    Here I measured out. Width: 2 5/8" Length: 3"
    003.JPG
    Second Shot group is with the 110 gr Ultramax ammo that is factory reloaded
    002.JPG
    Here I measured out. Width: 3 1/8" Length: 3"
    004.JPG
    So to better these groups I think I'm going to free float the barrel. That should drastically shrink the size of the groups and also to either get ammo reloaded or try some other factory loads. I will update with further information in the future. All in all for a rifle setup straight from the walmart shelf with ammo to include it didnt shoot all that bad in my opinion. The only alteration I myself did to the setup was lighten the trigger. So all together I am happy.

(Franklin County)

not bad if you were shooting offhand? haha. just picking. yeah id take some further steps before accepting that as its limit for accuracy. try some federal ammo. dont know why but i always have good luck with it. its always accurate. i dont know much about free floating barrels, but give it a shot.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast