Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: ak 47s or ak74s

(Lancaster County)

Question ak 47s or ak74s

working my way up to getting a new rifle,an ak74 or an ak47,amd 65 and so on,i think the ak74s round is more accurate,need something that has ammo available in almost every place for a decent price,know any good places that sell ak-like rifles saving my cash here hehe
    Gott mit uns

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: ak 47s or ak74s

having both setups, in 3 calibers ak47s in 7.62, AK74s in 5.45x39.5 and ak74s in .5.56x45...I say go AK47 s in 7.62x39.

All 3 platforms use the same internal FCG and basic furniture outside, so parts can be replaced, but each uses different mags(even in the same caliber, depending on the maker), so thats a consideration

the 5.45 aks are accurate as hell, and easy to shoot, low in recoil, at least a quality build is, mine is a Bulgarian by Arsenal, so its a factory AK at its base.
    However, the rounds are generally harder to find overall (ammo is available now, but was MIA for a while), and the mags are more expensive also.
    also, I've never seen reloadable 5.45 ammo, and I dont think any american ammo MFG makes it.

the 5.56 model I have is a Romanian WASR3, and functions well, is accurate, if not pretty.
    I had to modify a bunch of bakelite 5.45 ak74 mags to work with the 5.56 round, which included changing followers, and opening up the feed lips at the front. The East german Weiger 5.56 mags are steel, and work well, but have gone scarce on the market. 5.56 is easily available on the market by US makers, and the gun has low recoil.

I have 2 SAR-1s in 7.62 in 39...if i had to pick an AK to keep, that would be it, the standard AK47s. Ammo is available from foreign and US makers, mags are available from foreign and US makers, and so are parts and accessories.

the 7.62 out of the AK is not the most accurate round, as the ammo is a general loading, and chambers are usually a general size for best functionality, not best accuracy, but if you actually sit down and sight the gun in, you may be surprised what you can do with an AK...especially with good ammo.

hope this helps.

either way, hope
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Allegheny County)

I just got my first AK today, I'll be posting pics later, it's a single stack I got at dunhams today for 275 total with the background check, it came with the carrying strap, skeletal stock, 2-15rd mags 1-5rd mag and an oil bottle. I bought 40 rounds of remington UMC 7.62 at walmart for 27 bucks.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerh4ppy View Post
    working my way up to getting a new rifle,an ak74 or an ak47,amd 65 and so on,i think the ak74s round is more accurate,need something that has ammo available in almost every place for a decent price,know any good places that sell ak-like rifles saving my cash here hehe
    From your list its a no brainer = Hungarian AMD 65 !!!!

J&G Sales has them on sale for under $400