Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: First Reloads

(Delaware County)

Question First Reloads

Well, I have my first reloads ready to go. New to reloading and first batch of 357 mag. off the Hornady LNL AP. 15 rounds to start with. Something I never thought of till now... Now I gotta try them. Hmmm, man I sure hope all my load info was accurate. I wonder which gun I should use to try them... lets see, which was the cheapest gun I have. I wonder if my wife... No, no way. I am going to be the one who fires the first rounds. Right?? Wow, this is kinda scary. Did everyone here who reloads have these thoughts when you tested out your first rounds?

Default Re: First Reloads

It's part of the excitement As long as you paid attention to what you are doing, it will be like shooting factory ammo, only better and MUCH more satisfying.

You do have a question to answer, though: Eyes open for the first shot, so you can at least admire the Earth shattering kaboom for a brief span of time if you weren't paying attention, or eyes closed?
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

Welcome to the Dark Side. I don't know of anyone that has not wondered if they did it right. I get that way when I use a new powder. Don't over think it, just go one step at a time and double check what you do every time. Check every case before you start, check the case before you prime, check the primer to make sure it's in right, check the charge after you put it in the case, and check it once your done. It sounds like a lot of looking but once you've done a few, you will go into auto and check every time. Be Safe.

I didn't have those thoughts until I loaded up the gun at the range. Thinking, this is crazy! Hope I did everything right.

Big adrenaline dump for the whole hour at the range. Took about 4 hours for the body to return to normal.

It does get less intense the more you do it. But I'd be lying if I said it drops down to what it is when shooting factory loads. Each time I work up a set of loads for a new caliber it's an intense day at the range.
    Divided we ever have been, and ever must be.Two thirds always had and will have more difficulty to struggle with the one third than with all our foreign enemies. - John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post

You do have a question to answer, though: Eyes open for the first shot, so you can at least admire the Earth shattering kaboom for a brief span of time if you weren't paying attention, or eyes closed?
    Funny you mentioned that. My very first round sent down range was with eyes closed and my head turned to the side. As if that added any protection.

For the first mag it was more a function test, I didn't even pay attention as to whether it hit the target. Visual inspection of the gun after each round fired.
    Last edited by stephpd; April 3rd, 2009 at 08:32 AM.
    Divided we ever have been, and ever must be.Two thirds always had and will have more difficulty to struggle with the one third than with all our foreign enemies. - John Adams

(Allegheny County)

Hehe I did the same thing. Closed eyes and prayed :-). But I think that's part of the fun as long as it doesn't end bad!!! After that first time then you are good to go and can start to play with and customize.

(Lebanon County)

I've never had a moment of hesitation or anxiety. I've been shooting reloads as long as I've been shooting guns. My dad has been reloading since 1959, and to be honest I'm more wary of factory loads than reloads because I know their quality control can't be as good as a good handloader.

See this thread

Other than .22 and shotgun I never fired factory ammo until I bought my first handgun, and that was only to get the brass.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by stephpd View Post
    Funny you mentioned that. My very first round sent down range was with eyes closed and my head turned to the side. As if that added any protection.

For the first mag it was more a function test, I didn't even pay attention as to whether it hit the target. Visual inspection of the gun after each round fired.
    I did the same thing my with my first loads. Held the AR with one hand and turned the other way. Had a friend along just incase he stood way behind me for at least my first 50 shots. But now I got him shooting reloads, must trust me now since I haven't got blown up yet.
    You can have my guns, bullets first.

(Clearfield County)

First rounds I ever loaded I made my brother shoot first and I stood behind him about 10ft. All joking aside WVBob made a very good point. Reloading is a thinking mans game so always check and double check your work and everything will be fine. I post this quote often but it is simple and rings very true.

"You have to work really hard to get hurt reloading" Joyce Hornady

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by stephpd View Post

Stephpd this one really stung me. I about fell out my chair laughing...good job