Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Trip to CMP North

On a job in Cleveland and had some spare time so I decide to take a short journey (about 75 miles) to CMP North (Camp Perry). Picked up some brand new (circa 1945), still covered in cosmoline, M1 Carbine magazines. The guy at the counter was just unpacking them and showed me the box he had just unsealed. Printing showed a packing date of June 1945, they were greased up and wrapped in the oil paper, not a mark on them. They have a limit of 20 per person at $12 each. Asked about 30 Carbine ammo, said it looks like they might be getting some in May, June or July, it wasn't determined when yet.

Lots of people buying all kinds of things, the guy behind me in the pickup line bought $6945.00 worth of guns (got 6 free CMP Tee Shirts, and a free sweat shirt . BTW the T's were Gildan, the same as some of the new PaFOA T's).

Bought my mags, a CMP Tee and a book on the M1 Garand and Carbine. Looked around a bit, talked to some other retired military guys and drove back to Cleveland. All in all a very good afternoon, the CMP people couldn't be nicer.

BTW, the one guy at the counter (a CMP guy) said that the guns they get up there the guns that Anniston (CMP South) can't do much more with. All the guns go to Anniston first for examination, then refurbishment and then to fill the mail orders. He said that if you're not in a big hurry, it is better to do you paperwork and send the order to CMP South, you'll probably get a better gun for the money although it will take longer to get.

If you haven't been there and get the chance, take it, you won't regret it.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Snyder County)

Default Re: Trip to CMP North

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    On a job in Cleveland and had some spare time so I decide to take a short journey (about 75 miles) to CMP North (Camp Perry). Picked up some brand new (circa 1945), still covered in cosmoline, M1 Carbine magazines. The guy at the counter was just unpacking them and showed me the box he had just unsealed. Printing showed a packing date of June 1945, they were greased up and wrapped in the oil paper, not a mark on them. They have a limit of 20 per person at $12 each. Asked about 30 Carbine ammo, said it looks like they might be getting some in May, June or July, it wasn't determined when yet.

Lots of people buying all kinds of things, the guy behind me in the pickup line bought $6945.00 worth of guns (got 6 free CMP Tee Shirts, and a free sweat shirt . BTW the T's were Gildan, the same as some of the new PaFOA T's).

Bought my mags, a CMP Tee and a book on the M1 Garand and Carbine. Looked around a bit, talked to some other retired military guys and drove back to Cleveland. All in all a very good afternoon, the CMP people couldn't be nicer.

BTW, the one guy at the counter (a CMP guy) said that the guns they get up there the guns that Anniston (CMP South) can't do much more with. All the guns go to Anniston first for examination, then refurbishment and then to fill the mail orders. He said that if you're not in a big hurry, it is better to do you paperwork and send the order to CMP South, you'll probably get a better gun for the money although it will take longer to get.

If you haven't been there and get the chance, take it, you won't regret it.
    Ron, your a bastard.

But seriously, I am sure it was a worthwhile trip. I plan on stopping in when we do out summer trip to CO. Not sure if I will get anything. But just need to stop cause I will be close. As for the M1 mags, I bought some when they were first released. They ran a special of 10 for $100 and I picked up 10. They are just as you describe. The 30 cal ammo I bought back in October. It took about a month to get shipped to me, but I did get it. Seems you need to have patience when dealing with CMP.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the progression of guns from South to North. I had considered getting another M1 Carbine during our trip, but may decide to just wait and paper order it.

Thanks for sharing!