Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default AR15: Bullet Over Bolt

Note: This is not a special effect

Never had this happen till about three weeks ago at a course. Took a screw driver and a hammer to get it fixed. Not sure if it was the mud, rain or over heating from 200 rounds in about 3 minutes in semi.

I also exacerbated the problem by tap rolling and racking, since it only jammed it more

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: AR15: Bullet Over Bolt

Working as an instructor I've seen this quite a few times. In most but not all cases its due to crappy magazines. The feed lips start to wear and it allows the round to pop loose in the chamber to early as the bolt is still moving back and ejecting the last round.

The way I learned was SPORTS. Slap the mag. Pull the charging handle to the rear. Observe the chamber. Release the handle. Tap the forward assist and then squeeze the trigger.

The key is the Observe part. Thats the only way a shooter is going to be able to catch this. If you do see it drop the mag lock the bolt to the rear and push the charging handle closed. Then start digging with anything to get the round out.

In most cases I've seen the shooter makes it worse because they keep holding the bolt open with the charging handle which traps the round between it and the gas key. It also makes it impossible to take the gun apart because the bolt will not fully close to allow the upper to be removed.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun." Jeff Cooper

(Luzerne County)

I'll second a problem with the mag.

(Luzerne County)

As mentioned above, this type of malfunction is usually mag related. Either a double feed or the mag releases the cartridge too early.

However, ...

WTF is all that gook in your action? Please tell me that is not GREASE?

The gun was designed to be lubed with CLP/oil.
    Grease is bad juju for AR action. Especially in that quantity. I suspect it could be the cause of the malfunction. Reason being that if you cycle the action slowly you can re-create the malfunction due to the cart popping up past the bolt face. This can also happen when one rides the charging handle forward. IMO, that sticky goo that the grease turns into as a result of the direct gas impingement could very well be retarding the bolt/carrier movement/speed to the point that it is educing that malfunction.

Clean and re-lube with clp/oil per the manual. Safe the grease for the Garand and belt feds.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Bucks County)

I was wondering that also. I thought he got into a battle with paintballers.

We had a girl at one of out last shoots get this same thing with another round also going into the chamber simultaneously, couldnt get either one out. Messed that gun up and it took them 5min to pry everything out.

(Pike County)

Way back when I got my Colt AR I had this happen once during the initial break in, brand new Colt mag. Only ever happened that one time. Took a bit to get it out.

(Erie County)

You are correct Pat, it's actually high temp wheel bearing grease. I gave up on CLP awhile ago. I mean its great for plinking but not practical where I was shooting. Combination of rain, mud, sand, and the fact i would drop mags in the mud/sand and just reload them made it a shitty environment for using a light oil. Plus the fact the I was running hundrends of rounds in only a few minutes would cause oil to burn right off, in fact it did from a couple guys guns.

The magazine was a CIC mag, standard military/LE issue magazine with a magpul follower.

The failure occured on my 4th magazine in 3 minutes so my gun was hot as can be.

SPORTS is great, but i tapped rolled and racked and switch to my side arm immediately. No cover or time to play with my gun right then and there. But i racked so hard that it jammed it up pretty bad.

I've never had somethine like that happen before and i've ran my gun quite a bit. But the weather was pretty crappy and slamming magazines in the mud wasn't a great idea either so.

Actually I had PMag fail during this. Got covered in mud and just stopped working, spring wouldn't expand. Even after taking it apart and putting it back together it still wouldn't work. Was kinda weird because there wasn't anything obviously obstructing it.

(Luzerne County)

Grease will create more problems than it will solve. And this malfunction is probably one of them. A shitty environment for light oil is a disaster for grease. An AR will run better burned dry than it will with gummy, carbon and dirt/mud laden grease. Best to run dry in those conditions. IM(20 yrs experience with AR's)O

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Lawrence County)

A good boundary layer CLP will still work.....even if you think it has burnt off.

Keep grease out the AR.

Lycan+1thrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Grease will create more problems than it will solve. And this malfunction is probably one of them. A shitty environment for light oil is a disaster for grease. An AR will run better burned dry than it will with gummy, carbon and dirt/mud laden grease. Best to run dry in those conditions. IM(20 yrs experience with AR's)O

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    A good boundary layer CLP will still work.....even if you think it has burnt off.

Keep grease out the AR.

Lycan+1thrope
    beerithinkijustlerntsomethinghunter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast