Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Stopped While OCing in West Conshohocken

Stopped by rookie LEO this afternoon in West Conshohocken. Leaving office now, will post details around 9pm when I get home. Good encounter overall. Be back soon.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Stopped While OCing in West Conshohocken

Glad to hear it was not a pain. Waiting for details.

I'm suspecting a copy-cat post!!!

(York County)

Well...

...We're waiting!
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post

NO NO NO Mikey, it's like this .....

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post

Yep, bad mikey, got to bed with no dinner...............

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Well...

...We're waiting!
    I just love that movie.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post

Why do you have pictures of my girlfriend? Who are you?

(Chester County)

First I apologize for the delay, got stuck at Mom's house removing viruses from her and my sisters computers.

I stopped at the WAWA in West Conshohocken to pick up some food around 4 PM. I was OC'ing my Glock 23, OWB, 3 o'clock, in my Blackhawk Serpa. I ordered at the deli computer, and went to the cooler for a bottle of water. I proceed to the register, paid for my stuff, and go back to the deli area to pick up my salad. After clerk gave me the salad, I turned around and was now facing the door. Outside in the parking lot I see a West Conshohocken Police SUV, backed into a space and the officer on his way in. Having only been confronted once by a LEO, I am still quite nervous around them while OC'ing.

I stopped on my way to the door at the stand alone refrigerated case to pick a few dressing packets from on top. As I made my way to the case, the officer had entered the store and was already at the cooler picking up a beverage. We hadn't "crossed paths" yet but he was soon on his way to the register line as I placed the dressing packets in my bag.

He gets in line behind three other people, and as I turn to head out the door, he catches a glimpse of my Glock. He left the line immediately and comes right up to me, stopping in front of me as I'm almost at the door.

I'm no LEO, but a good friend of mine is a PSP Trooper. He told me once that when LEO's go through any academy, they are taught to "blade" themselves when confronting someone. For those that don't know what "blading" is, it is standing at a 45 degree angle, with your firearm side away from the person you are talking to. This officer, who looked no older than 25 and was obviously a rookie, stood 2 feet in front of me and was squared up with me. So much for officer safety.

The conversation went like this;

LEO: Do you have a permit for that thing? (pointing to my Glock)

ME: Yes I do, in my car.

LEO: Do you mind if I see it?

ME: If you want to, OK. You know I don't need a permit to open carry.

LEO: I just want to check it.

He then opens up his flip cell phone and with his head down, still standing right in front of me, starts to dial a number. He abruptly stops, and closes the phone.

ME: Do you want to follow me out to my car?

LEO: That will be fine.

I walk around him and out the door. He follows about 5-7 feet behind me.

LEO: Are you a police officer, do you work in the area?

ME: No, just a citizen. I'm a good guy, you don't have to worry about me.

LEO: OK, I just want to check your permit.

We arrive at my car.

ME: My key is in my left pocket, I'm going to take it out and unlock my car.

LEO: OK

I click and unlock the drivers side door.

ME: My permit is in my wallet, in the slot under radio. I'm going to open the door and reach in and get it.

LEO: OK

I remove my wallet, open it up, and hand him my NH non-resident permit. He looks at it and says

LEO: This says New Hampshire, and it has no picture on it. Do you have any other ID.

ME: PA has reciprocity with New Hampshire.

I unfold my wallet displaying my PA DL in a slot behind plastic. He holds the NH permit right under the DL and looks at both for about 3 seconds, and then hands me back my NH permit. I could sense he was a little nervous, and not sure what to do or how to handle things at this point.

ME: I also have a PA LTCF, but I keep that in the glove box of my other car, this way I always have a valid permit when I leave my house.

LEO: OK. I just wanted to check your permit out. You know we've had some problems at the Marriott across the street lately.

ME: No problem, you don't have to worry about me, I'm a good guy.

LEO: OK, thanks, have a nice day.

The entire encounter lasted about 2 minutes. Some of my observations/questions.

1) The officer never wrote anything down, or called another unit, although as we walked out to the car he did reach for the mic on his shoulder several times.

2) It was very obvious this guy was a rookie, and wasn't quite sure what to make of seeing a person OC'ing.

3) From what little I know about police training, I believe LEO's are taught to take control of the situation. I never felt like the officer ever took control of the situation. I found myself to be the one in control, especially as he followed me out to my car, and I was the one doing most of the talking and explaining.

Before some of you start ripping me for showing my permit and DL, and explaining things to this LEO consider the following.

First, OC'ing is relatively new to me. I only OC about 50% of the time. I still have not entered a store or area OC'ing when a LEO is already present. Several times I have said to myself, I'm going in, even if a LEO is already there. I haven't been able to do that yet though because no LEO's were ever present when I said this to myself and arrived at my destination.

Second, while I am a supporter of OC, I am not at the point yet where I am comfortable being more of an activist (Greg & Pa. Patroit ) and taking a harder stance when LEO asks unlawfully for LTCF or DL while OC'ing. The officer, while making an unlawful demand for LTCF and "other ID", was courteous during the entire encounter. Had he acted like a hard ass, or tried to lecture me about OC being illegal or something along those lines, I would have responded more appropriately and taken a different stance.

It was obvious he wasn't quite sure what to make of the entire situation, but I think my demeanor and cooperation with his unlawful demands, played a part in him not calling for backup and possibly escalating the situation into something more confrontational with another LEO who may haved showed up.

Finally, I didn't have any fliers with me, but that doesn't preclude me from sending one to the officer or department in the coming days.

Sorry again about the delay in making this report.
    Last edited by GL23; April 1st, 2009 at 02:15 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast