Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default How do I get started?

Ok, I have no idea how to get started on reloading, start up costs, what to buy, where to buy.

I do have an engineer brain though, If after figuring out where / what to purchase as long as I have good documentation I will be able to figure out how to work it. I have enough chem classes in me to be safe while handling materials so thats also a plus. I'm planning on looking for cheap but quality parts (hopefully a few incorrect spellings on ebay etc.) Just need to figure out where to start, and maybe if theres anyone close to me that reloads, could show me a few times their methods?

(Tioga County)

Default Re: How do I get started?

I would suggest the first thing you do is get a book. I would suggest, "The ABC's of Reloading" this book will answer a lot of questions including the ones you didn't know you had.
    Startup costs can be anywhere from under $200 to well over $1000.

Quote Originally Posted by Skuggi View Post
    Ok, I have no idea how to get started on reloading, start up costs, what to buy, where to buy.

I do have an engineer brain though, If after figuring out where / what to purchase as long as I have good documentation I will be able to figure out how to work it. I have enough chem classes in me to be safe while handling materials so thats also a plus. I'm planning on looking for cheap but quality parts (hopefully a few incorrect spellings on ebay etc.) Just need to figure out where to start, and maybe if theres anyone close to me that reloads, could show me a few times their methods?

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    I would suggest the first thing you do is get a book. I would suggest, "The ABC's of Reloading" this book will answer a lot of questions including the ones you didn't know you had.
    Startup costs can be anywhere from under $200 to well over $1000.
    ABC's of Reloading is a great book to get started with. As for startup costs, it varies as rwilson452 said. A piece of advice from my own experience, get a QUALITY press to start with. I started with a Lyman T-Mag (turreted) and i should have got their single stage press instead. Not that the T-Mag is bad, but it lacks the strength that i have on my Redding press.

I would recommend a RCBS Rockchucker or a Redding Big Boss single stage press as the cornerstone for your reloading adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

This is a difficult post to answer properly since one doesn't know how deeply involved he will be. I would start with the RCBS Rockchucker. You absolutely cannot go wrong with this press. I would buy Redding or RCBS dies. If you really get into reloading, you will want a progressive and I would buy the Dillon.

I personally use and old RCBS press for depriming only, the Rockchucker for small runs and for all rifle reloading and Dillon presses for high volume pistol ammo.

Reloading is fun, but don't expect to save money, you will just invest more in equipment and supplies and shoot a lot more. It's like fly fishing, which I also enjoy.
    The fish I catch on flies that I tie fight harder and are more fun to catch.

I have been shooting for over 60 years and reloading for about 45 years and I still enjoy it - shot about 400 rounds last Sunday. It ain't about the money - it's about what you do to have fun.