Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AK74 Question

(Lehigh County)

Default AK74 Question

Trying to dig up more information on the Bulgarian AK74s that Centerfire systems is selling. I haven't heard anything negative about them as of yet and I can currently find 5.45x39 for about half the price of either .223 or 7.62x39.

I was looking at polish Tantals, but I didn't want a folding stock and all the ones I can find appear to be century builds. I am aware of the issues with the barrels on the CAI builds and I am wondering if there is anything I should be aware of with these. That and its currently a good price for an AK74.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: AK74 Question

The polish Tantals have the right trunnions in place so that you can just ditch the folding stock for a fixed one immediately. Their side folding stock uses fixed stock mounting hardware so no modification to the reciever is necessary.

What issues with Century barrels?

(Lehigh County)

apparently some not all have issues with key holing. From what I have read its because the barrel itself is not a 5.45 but a 5.56 instead which is causing instability in the round.
    And others state its caused by the twist in the barrel but either way the interarms versions seem to not have this issue and the CAI ones do.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Stampeed Valkyrie View Post
    apparently some not all have issues with key holing. From what I have read its because the barrel itself is not a 5.45 but a 5.56 instead which is causing instability in the round.
    Yep. From my understanding the Centerfire '74 are good to go. I have been considering picking one up but I really don't want to add another caliber to my list of ammo purchases. You really can't beat that price. Please post some pictures if you end up buying one.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Montgomery County)

I considered buying a 74 under the guise of "saving money" but then I did some math and I realized I would have to run through more than 3,000 rounds before I broke even and started to actually save money on ammo. I don't really shoot that often and having to buy new mags as well would just add to the price differential I'd have to overcome before I actually cut down on shooting costs.

If only I hadn't taken finance classes I would have an AK-74...

Quote Originally Posted by Virtus985 View Post
    I considered buying a 74 under the guise of "saving money" but then I did some math and I realized I would have to run through more than 3,000 rounds before I broke even and started to actually save money on ammo. I don't really shoot that often and having to buy new mags as well would just add to the price differential I'd have to overcome before I actually cut down on shooting costs.

If only I hadn't taken finance classes I would have an AK-74...
    Or, you could have bought enough 5.45x39 at the right time and now be looking at well over $500 in appreciation already on the ammo that you have left in unopened tins. That alone almost pays for a rifle in itself. Add to that not blowing 40¢ downrange (bare, bare minimum for .223 Remington these days) and you save at least 28¢ every time you pull the trigger. 3,000 rounds would get you another $840. Starting to look better?

You can still get 5.45x39 for $150 a tin of 1,080 rounds, plus shipping. I got mine shipped free.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Stampeed Valkyrie View Post
    And others state its caused by the twist in the barrel but either way the interarms versions seem to not have this issue and the CAI ones do.
    on acount of interarms using oem polish barrels.
    wrap the sling the right way and the side folder isnt too bad. add in the fact the 5.45 has less kick than the 5.56 and it's a good time.

the ak74 is the next best thing to an ak47.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Delaware County)

The wire folding stock isn't too bad. It's too short for me by a couple inches, but there's hardly any recoil, so it's almost not an issue. As has been said, if you don't like it, you can always swap it out. You wouldn't even need a U.S.-made stock.

The folding mechanism of the Tapco folder on my AK-47 bruised my cheek. That and I have to fight with it to open and close it, and I don't really trust the plastic hooks that hold it open.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Montgomery County)

The Bulgarian AK-74s from Centerfire are legit.

They are NOT Century made. They are made off original Bulgy surplus kits (which are pretty much copies of the Russian 74s) with the original chrome-lined barrels. The receiver is NoDak Spud, good quality.

Word is they only have 100 in stock, but another source said several wholesalers have got these 74s in and they will hit the market soon, but you never know- this would be odd to me as the Dec 05 ATF kits ban should have stopped any new 74 kits from coming in.

Any way you slice it a Bulgarian 74 for $699 is a great price. Also, as King 5.45 pointed out, tins of 5.45 are still pretty cheap (compare with 5.56 or 7.62 x 39). AIM, cope's, and even sportsmansguide have tins for around $150- do the math.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warsaw Pact View Post
    The Bulgarian AK-74s from Centerfire are legit.

They are NOT Century made. They are made off original Bulgy surplus kits (which are pretty much copies of the Russian 74s) with the original chrome-lined barrels. The receiver is NoDak Spud, good quality.

Word is they only have 100 in stock, but another source said several wholesalers have got these 74s in and they will hit the market soon, but you never know- this would be odd to me as the Dec 05 ATF kits ban should have stopped any new 74 kits from coming in.

Any way you slice it a Bulgarian 74 for $699 is a great price. Also, as King 5.45 pointed out, tins of 5.45 are still pretty cheap (compare with 5.56 or 7.62 x 39). AIM, cope's, and even sportsmansguide have tins for around $150- do the math.
    The internet scuttle-but is that these will have USA-made barrels, not that that is a bad thing - just saying.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast