Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: casting slugs

(Lancaster County)

Default casting slugs

i started casting slugs with a lee 1oz mold... i should have done this a long time ago.. i spend about 2 hours making about 300 slugs and save alot of money.. A LOTTTT OF MONEY and it is so easy to do... a couple of things that i found out that i didnt find on the net... when useing the lee melting pot with the pour spout on the bottom make sure you stick a paper clip end in there every couple of slugs to keep the lead flowing.. keep the mold hot but not to hot every 5-8 slugs let it cool a min or 2... and i just got the lee 6 cap mold for 45acp and this thing is not built right at all its nothing like the slug mold.. so im going to have a friend add sum things to it...other then that i had a great time doing this and saving money
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Cambria County)

Default Re: casting slugs

Looks like you forgot to buy the handles for the six cavity , there only included with the 1 and 2 cavity moulds . Try adding just a smidgen of 50/50 solder to your pot and it will help the mould fill out better . Been casting slugs for some time now and always enjoy the finished product .
    DAN

(Jefferson County)

If you aren't doing it already - another tip I found to help a little with barrel leading is to open the mold over a 5gal bucket of cold water and letting them fall in while they are still plenty hot. It'll harden them a bit further.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    If you aren't doing it already - another tip I found to help a little with barrel leading is to open the mold over a 5gal bucket of cold water and letting them fall in while they are still plenty hot. It'll harden them a bit further.
    Never heard of hardening shotgun slugs and leading shouldn't be a problem if using shotshell wads .
    DAN

(Erie County)

not to sound like a total n00b but this thread is great. I picked up an old progressive DL-366 (for free) this past fall - now I have a good excuse to get rid of 300 or more once fired highbrass (and get momma off my back).

(Lancaster County)

useing solder i never heard of that... how does that work... yeah and i just found out about the handles... thats a bunch of bull.. they should come with it

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by richy2kool View Post
    useing solder i never heard of that... how does that work... yeah and i just found out about the handles... thats a bunch of bull.. they should come with it
    A little tin helps the molten metal fill the mould but make sure it's solid core solder and not the leadless solder now being sold .
    DAN

(Bedford County)

i started casting slugs with a lee 1oz mold... i should have done this a long time ago.. i spend about 2 hours making about 300 slugs and save alot of money.. A LOTTTT OF MONEY and it is so easy to do... a couple of things that i found out that i didnt find on the net... when useing the lee melting pot with the pour spout on the bottom make sure you stick a paper clip end in there every couple of slugs to keep the lead flowing.. keep the mold hot but not to hot every 5-8 slugs let it cool a min or 2... and i just got the lee 6 cap mold for 45acp and this thing is not built right at all its nothing like the slug mold.. so im going to have a friend add sum things to it...other then that i had a great time doing this and saving money
    Definately a way to save money! I'm currently casting 230 and 200 grain RN using mamgma moulds. They are the spitting image of the Oregon Trail laser cast bullets. With lube they are about a $.01 a piece and they shoot pretty damn good. If your using wheel weight lead you should get good fillout but if not just add a little tin ()solder is a gdd easy to obtain source) as already pointed out here.

Water quenching does add hardness to the bullets. Mine go from about 11/12 BHN to 16/17 BHN just by water quenching. Just don't water quench your lead balls you want them good and soft!

Lee handles are on sale at Midway right now!
    <a href=http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehosting/2175485722f4a1b35.jpg target=_blank>http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehost...722f4a1b35.jpg</a>

"A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

(Westmoreland County)

Casting will add a lot of fun to reloading, the only thing I will add get a copy of Lyman cast bullet book it is a must have, There are many variables to cast bullets and the different lead mixes will not only determine Hardness but also Diameter. For slugs and muzzle loaders you want as close to pure lead as possible.. 30 years ago when I cast my first bullets they called casting the dark art. There is a lot more too it than melting some lead and pouring in a mould.

(Lancaster County)

istill dont understand the solder thing... is it the stuff you use for pluming.. and i do drop my slugs into water... another problem im running to is that when i make the slug sometimes the wad leafs get stuck under the slug... anybody run into this problem and if so how do i fix it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast