Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Responding to: 'Your Rights Are Not Valid Here'

This is to encourage business owners to think about their policies
    regarding support of Constitutional Rights.

Having read the various threads regarding the requests of some business owners for 2nd Amendment Exercisers to either 'Hide the Gun' or 'Leave the Premises', I've prepared a suggested sample letter to send to the manager or owner or franchisee (or even corporate if it's their policy) expressing our point of view and the actions we intend to take in response.... After all, business owners in America enjoy many 'RIGHTS' because of the Constitution and the effort to diminish any of them, tends to diminish all of them.... While private property rights may trump our RKBA (which is not a protected group/subject), we can still voice our opinions to these business owners to encourage them to rethink this issue...

The letter assumes you've been asked to cover in or leave a store and, naturally, you would need to modify it according to the type of establishment you were in, such as, restaurant, movie house, etc. The basic concept is to complain in a way that stimulates the owners to re-think their policies. YOUR comments are welcome...

(This applies equally to OC encounters (where one is asked to conceal, instead) as well as those establishments that prohibit all guns whether CC or OC)

... Stay Safe ...
    ID

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Proposed Letter - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

To The Manager of the XYZ Store:

I've been purchasing useful and needed items from your establishment for quite a long time. In all this time, I have never had an unpleasant experience. This is why I am so disturbed by my recent experience in your store.

During my latest visit, I intended to purchase a few needed items. I was surprised when [you][a store employee] interrupted my shopping by calling attention to the fact that I was carrying my firearm. I legally carry my firearm for self-protection, and for the protection of my family, wherever I go. I can assure you that other establishments I patronize have no problem with my exercise of my 2nd Amendment Rights.

I have always believed that, even in business, the values embodied in the Constitution of the United States provide a guideline for good citizenship. After all, businesses benefit from Constitutional Rights as well. I further believe that it benefits our entire society when we, both personally and in our business practices, support all those values forthrightly.

Therefore, I was not happy to be confronted by [you][your employee] and asked not to exercise my Rights within your establishment. Furthermore, when [you][your employee] asked that I [hide my firearm][leave], you/he/she actually debased the values which are incorporated in the Bill of Rights, for which our forefathers died.

I am very disappointed with your attitude toward our Constitutional Rights and your insistence that those Rights not be exercised in your establishment.

Therefore, in keeping with your demand, I will no longer be shopping in your establishment.

Also, to keep others from the unnecessary confrontation that I was subjected to, I will recommend to my friends and acquaintences, as well as fellow members of civil rights organizations, that they, too, avoid shopping in your establishment.

There are many other business owners who appreciate and support our Constitutional Rights. I will be spending my money there for those things I previously purchased at your store.

Sincerely,

John Q Public
    ... Edited - Based on suggestions given ...
    Last edited by ImminentDanger; September 20th, 2012 at 07:39 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Responding to 'Your Rights Are Not Valid Here'

I'd rep you for that, but I've got to spread the love.

The only thing that would make it better is a line or two acknowledging the property owner's rights to set whatever rules they wish, followed by you stating that you shall exercise your rights to shop elsewhere.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post

The only thing that would make it better is a line or two acknowledging the property owner's rights to set whatever rules they wish, followed by you stating that you shall exercise your rights to shop elsewhere.
    Rep'd him for ya.

I seriously cannot understand how a business owner can refuse to serve you if you legally carry a gun and not be sued but can be sued of you are refused service because of your religious beliefs? That still makes no sense to me.

(Bucks County)

It needs to be shorter. I would say no more than 150 words. You have to keep these kinds of things very concise. If you don't, they will likely stop reading.
    Snowflakes in Hell Blog
    Where There's Snow, There's Firepower
    http://snowflakesinhell.com

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post

The gun owner acknowledges the Shop Owner's Rights to deny us our Carry Rights when they comply and leave without making a scene....

Actually, I deliberately left that part out.. The reason being that I think it should be an advocacy of what should be.... not what is legal.....

Rather than giving them the line about their 'right to deny us' to focus on, I want to encourage them to focus on our Rights and the value of respecting them....

Anyway, that was my thinking.....

... Stay Safe ...
    ID

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by ImminentDanger View Post
    The gun owner acknowledges the Shop Owner's Rights to deny us our Carry Rights when they comply and leave without making a scene....

Actually, I deliberately left that part out.. The reason being that I think it should be an advocacy of what should be.... not what is legal.....

Rather than giving them the line about their 'right to deny us' to focus on, I want to encourage them to focus on our Rights and the value of respecting them....

... Stay Safe ...
    ID
    Dammit man! Stop making sense!

I'd move the paragraphs like I did here:

To The Manager of the XYZ Store:

I have been shopping at your store for quite some time and have purchased many useful and needed items over that time. That is why I am so disturbed by my recent experience in your store.

In my most recent visit to your store I was there to purchase a needed item. I was surprised when [you][a store employee] interrupted my shopping by calling attention to the fact that I was carrying my firearm. I legally carry my firearm for self-protection, and for the protection of my family, wherever I go. I can assure you that the establishments I patronize have no problem with my exercise of my 2nd Amendment Rights.

I have always believed that, even in business, the values embodied in the Constitution of the United States provides a guideline for good citizenship. I further believe that it benefits our entire society when we, both personally and in our business practices, support those values forthrightly. I especially recommend to you the Bill of Rights that our forefathers lived and died for as especially meaningful to good citizenship.

Therefore, I was none too happy to be confronted by [you][your employee] and asked not to exercise my Rights within your establishment. Furthermore, when [you][your employee] asked that I [hide my firearm][leave], you deliberately debased the very values that the Bill of Rights upholds.

I am very disappointed in your attitude toward our Constitutional Rights and your insistence that those Rights not be exercised in your establishment.

Therefore, in keeping with your demand, I will no longer be shopping in your establishment. And to keep others from the unnecessary confrontation that I was subjected to, I will recommend to my friends, and my many acquaintences, that they too avoid shopping in your establishment. There are many other business owners, who do appreciate and support our Constitutional Rights, who are willing and able to provide those things I previously purchased at your store.

Sincerely, but with disappointment at your attitude,

John Q Public
    By moving the paragraph about the incident and the direct correlation to their business up you might get their attention better. I personally (even knowing what the letter was about) was asking what the F this had to do with me halfway through the second paragraph .... it's short attention span theater out there folks so you have to grab their attention as quickly as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Warpt762x39 View Post
    Rep'd him for ya.

I seriously cannot understand how a business owner can refuse to serve you if you legally carry a gun and not be sued but can be sued of you are refused service because of your religious beliefs? That still makes no sense to me.
    Because gun owners are not a "protected class". Just to opposite would be more truthful.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by indianjack View Post
    Because gun owners are not a "protected class". Just to opposite would be more truthful.
    Ain't that the truth...

BTW I like the flow of the second version better, I'll have to hit you both later though

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Somerset County)

... Stay Safe ...
    ID

Very good . +REP to you.
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast