Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Beretta PX4 Storm Sub Comapact

In November 2007, I was in my local gun shop. I was in the market for a sub-compact gun. I have been carrying for ten years and usually carried 4”-5” guns but now wanted something smaller and lighter.
    I really had my heart set on the Beretta PX4 Storm Sub Compact, but nobody knew when it was coming out. It was already a year overdue. I had heard about the SC in 2006 and after a year of waiting, I decided to get something else.
    I looked at the Glock 26/36, the Springfield XD and the S&W m&p’s. I was able to rent them all and I liked the Glock the best. I didn’t like the feel of the XD at all. The S&W was okay.
    When talking to the sales guy, he was discussing guns and their relative size & weight. He said, ‘Now take this gun for instance’. He pulled out what appeared to be a full size gun. I was thinking, ‘why is he showing me this, I’m looking for a sub compact’?
    When he handed me the weapon, the gun seemed to mold to my hand. It felt like it was made for my hand. I never felt a gun “feel” so right.
    It was the Beretta PX4 Storm 4”. Although I wasn’t in the market for this size (Already own 3 others), I couldn’t pass it up. I bought it on the spot. If this gun felt that good, now I was really anxious for the sub compact.

June 2008 - Although the SC was released, it was impossible to get. Nobody had them. The Beretta forum guys were salivating, but they were very hard to find.

November 2008 - I walked into my local gun shop to use the range and was looking in the gun cases.
    All of a sudden, I saw a white light emanating from one particular case. As I walked “towards the light”, I started to hear music. Church music! “Alleluia, Alleluia” I heard.
    The light got brighter and the music louder. Then the clouds opened up and a beam of light came down and lit up the object in the case. Could it be...?
    Yes....the elusive Beretta PX4 Storm Sub Compact in 9mm!!
    All of a sudden, I felt a need to go to Church
    I instinctively reached for my wallet to get my credit card. Then I heard a voice from above say “Will that be cash or credit”? Actually the voice came from the side.
    I then realized that I'm purchasing ANOTHER gun and more money spent.
    Immediately the music stopped, the light disappeared and not only did the clouds close up but it started to rain.
    I had waited two years for this damn gun...I'm buying it... let it rain.

The PX4 SC, to me, is a very sexy gun. Obviously Beretta did not want to copy the “brick” styles of some of it’s competitors. It has rounded edges on the grip and demarcation lines on the slide giving it a very distinctive look. As far as I know, there is no other gun that even resembles the SC.

I was ecstatic when I first held the gun. It has the same “feel & balance” as the full size PX4. I have heard MANY people say how much they love the feel of the PX4 (4”) and the SC feels just as good. Must be something with Beretta’s. My Tomcat .32 has a great “feel” to it also. It just fits like a glove.

The SC is a joy to shoot. It weighs in at 24/32, so recoil (9mm) is nil. Initially, I shot 100 rounds of Remington, 115gr, FMJ and Lellier & Bellot, 115gr FMJ all at 10 yards. The gun ate them up. For defense rounds I use Remington Gold Sabre 147gr., JHP. Because of the cost of the defense rounds, I haven’t shot many of them so can’t give an honest assessment to them.
    The only problem I saw was that occasionally, the slide would fail to stay open on the last round. Will keep an eye on this.
    My groups were a little high and to the left. I then tried a bench rest and the groups were better. So, as usual, it was me.
    The mag holds 13 rounds. This amount is why the SC is a little on the thick side. My G.F. has the Kahr CW9 and it holds 7 rounds (9mm) and is much thinner and lighter. So it’s a trade-off. Which is more important to you?

The SC comes with two mags and one has the finger extension (nice) which aids in grip comfort. The mags also has the # designation , on the back, where the window is. Some mfg. do not feature this, but most do.

It also comes with three interchangeable back straps and these are easily changed by removing a wire clip.

It has ambidextrous safety’s/de-cockers, on the slide. This de-cocker allows you to drop the hammer without the gun going off.

Other features include - finger groove by the trigger guard to rest your index finger. A picatinny rail, superluminova sights, speed loader (you’ll need it), a lock and reversal magazine releases.

Stripping down the SC is very easy. Lock the slide open, pull the take-down lever ½ way out release and remove slide. Re-coil spring assembly can now be removed as can the barrel.

The only negative comment I could make is as of 3/09, there still are no holsters specifically for the SC. You can get one custom made or you can use the holsters made for the 4”; but that’s defeating the carry purpose of the SC. Or you can get a holster that is made for another gun like the Sig P229R that fits pretty well.

Personally, when I want to carry IWB, I use a Galco Belly Band. Great versatility. You can position it anywhere, 12,1,2,3, etc. and at any height. For OWB , I am forced to use a DeSantis model that is for my 4” PX4.

If you want/need a carry gun that is thinner and lighter, you may want to look elsewhere. This gun is beefy and it is the thickness that makes a gun easy or difficult to conceal. This SC is not hard to hide (waistband) but a thinner gun (Kahr 9mm) will conceal better.
    All-in-all, I love this gun. It shoots very well, has a great feel to it, is easy to clean and is built very solid. Hopefully, you guys that are still waiting for one will come across them soon.
    Last edited by Chase2b; March 27th, 2009 at 03:58 PM.
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy too carry (unknown author)

Default Re: Beretta PX4 Storm Sub Comapact

Nice looking piece......and a nice write up too !!! thanks

(Mercer County)

Chase2b,

Nice job on the review. I'm looking for a new carry gun, now that gives me somthing else to consider. Just one quick question hows the factory trigger?

Thanks,
    PaGunnut

Very good write up and a very nice piece. Doesn't do it for me but definately nice and sexy looking. Rep going your way.
    Reputation is what I strive for.

(Allegheny County)

I really like my full-size Px4 Storm, but I'm not crazy for the sub-compact version of it. I decided to go with an XD9SC for a small carry piece, which I'm still waiting to arrive at the local shop.

I really think with a few minor changes to the design that Beretta could have a gun capable of competing with the Glock and the XD. I'm also not sure why Beretta chose to go with a tilt-locking system for the sub-compact version of the Storm, over the rotating barrel system of the full-size. Seems like the advantages of the rotating barrel design would be even more beneficial in a sub-compact firearm.

Great writeup though.

(Blair County)

Me like. I'll have to see if any shops around here have them. What's a good price?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by PaGunNut View Post
    Chase2b,

Nice job on the review. I'm looking for a new carry gun, now that gives me somthing else to consider. Just one quick question hows the factory trigger?

Thanks,
    PaGunnut
    The trigger in DA is smooth but a little heavy. Similar to a GLock. In SA there is a bit of take-up play. But once there, it is a very short throw. Similar to a Para LDA if you have ever tried one.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by JrFreak View Post
    Me like. I'll have to see if any shops around here have them. What's a good price?
    I bought mine at Targetmaster (Chadds Ford, PA)for $520 back in October.
    I've heard some have bought the SC at Internet gun stores for $675.00.

(Butler County)

I own the PX4 Storm SC in .40. I love this gun. I have a FALCO holster IWB/OWB. It holds the gun secure and is very comfortable. It has a 7 degree FBI cant which makes for a faster draw and easier re-holstering. It's a pretty versatile rig.

PX4-Storm (4) - sm.jpg

PX4-Storm (5) - sm.jpg

PX4-Storm (6) - sm.jpg

Take a look!!
    Last edited by Jtaylor1220; March 24th, 2017 at 03:01 PM.