Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default chrome lined vs. not

So, for the chromed lined AK47 barrels, I know it helps longevity of the barrel but are the muzzle velocities the same? I was thinking that chrome has a harder density and because of that there may be less friction between the barrel and the bullet. Any ideas?

(Berks County)

Default Re: chrome lined vs. not

If you clean your rifle, there's no difference. You're not in the field using corrosive ammo. Some actually feel non-chromed barrels are more accurate than chromed. My Yugos are non-chrome, my Vector is chrome, and all shoot beautifully.

Oops Sooooory
    Last edited by Ronnies111; March 30th, 2009 at 07:06 PM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

(Philadelphia County)

Chrome allows the barrels to last longer as it is a much harder metal than SS, it is also easier to clean. On the other hand SS is the more accurate, this is because of the manufacturing process. However the lands and grooves in the barrel are made they are cut directly in a SS barrel. With a CL barrel the grooves and lands are cut oversized to allow for the thickness of the chrome plating once it is deposited. This means there are going to be abnormalities in the surface due to slight differences in the thickness of the chrome that aren't going to be present in a SS barrel.
    This is how it was explained to me, if anyone else has any corrections/further explination I always welcome learning something new.

For most purposes the chrome lining is usually the way to go, personally I'd only recommend SS for benchrest, and long range/varmint use.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Berks County)

Firing a shit ton of rounds full auto on a regular basis? You need chrome lining. Not doing that? A normal barrel will serve you well for a LONG time, and be more accurate. Chrome lining is just like M4 ramps. Most people don't need them. But everyone wants them.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    Firing a shit ton of rounds full auto on a regular basis? You need chrome lining. Not doing that? A normal barrel will serve you well for a LONG time, and be more accurate. Chrome lining is just like M4 ramps. Most people don't need them. But everyone wants them.
    how is it more or less accurate? I dont understand that. If anything, I thought muzzle velocity would be higher on the CL barrels.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mchaley View Post
    how is it more or less accurate? I dont understand that. If anything, I thought muzzle velocity would be higher on the CL barrels.
    I don't know if that's true or not, but velocity doesn't equal accuracy regardless. In a CL barrel, the lands and grooves are covered by the lining. In a normal barrel, the bearing surface of the bullet makes direct contact with the rifling in the barrel. There is a reason that match barrels aren't chrome lined.

Quote Originally Posted by mchaley View Post
    I think the easiest answer is rifling is cut into the barrel by the precision of machinery Chrome is applied as a liqiud in a dipping process so there's no way it can be applied as accurately as a lathe cuts a barrel.
    Last edited by Ronnies111; March 30th, 2009 at 07:11 PM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

(Delaware County)

Comparing apples and oranges.

I've never seen a test of chrome lined and stainless barrels from the same manufacturer, but that would be interesting. Hell, muzzle velocity and accuracy vary from lot to lot from the same manufacturer.

The FN police sharpshooter rifles based on the Winchester 70 action have chrome-lined bores and are usually sub-MOA accurate, sometimes 1/2-MOA accurate.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Susquehanna County)

hmm. Interesting.
    In addition, a CL bore might create higher pressure if the bore is slightly smaller than normal. Unless they account for the thickness of the Chrome lining... not sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast