From the PA Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs

Congresswoman Kathy Dahlkemper
Representing Pennsylvania’s 3rd Congressional District

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
(202) 225-5406

March 25, 2009

Rep. Dahlkemper Speaks Out in Favor of 2nd Amendment

Dahlkemper says “Fundamental Right”, “Way of Life”

WASHINGTON, DC – Today, Congresswoman Kathy Dahlkemper (PA-3) spoke out in support of the 2nd Amendment and the rights of Pennsylvania’s sportsmen and women during debate of H.R. 146, The Omnibus Public Land Management Act of 2009 and an amendment included in the legislation by Representative Jason Altmire (D-PA) that would protect public lands currently open to hunters and fishers. The National Rifle Association expresses strong support for this amendment.

“In my home state of Pennsylvania, the 2nd Amendment is not only a right, but a way of life,” said Rep. Dahlkemper. “We have an obligation not only to defend our God given right to self-defense, but to protect the important American tradition of hunting and fishing that has been passed down from generation to generation. In Congress, I will continue to oppose reductions in federal hunting acreage and will fight to ensure that opportunities for hunting and sport are maintained.”

Mr. Altmire’s amendment states that recreational activities currently allowed on public lands, including hunting, fishing or trapping, will remain legal. In addition, the amendment clarifies that the states retain the authority to manage fish and wildlife.

This bipartisan omnibus public lands bill is a package of more than 160 bills that enjoy wide support in Congress. Among its many provisions, this omnibus bill permanently codifies the National Landscape Conservation System; creates two million new acres of wilderness across 9 states; establishes 3 new national park units; designates 1,000 miles of wild and scenic rivers; designates a National Monument and 4 National Conservation Areas; protects world-class hunting land in the Wyoming Range; and recognizes new Historic Sites and Heritage Areas.

The Senate passed this bipartisan omnibus public lands bill by a vote of 73 to 21 on January 15.

Rep. Dahlkemper’s full remarks can be found below:

Madame Speaker, I rise today to express my strong support for HR 146, a bill that will set aside millions of acres of public wilderness and create more than 1,000 miles of scenic river designations.

This will provide recreation for millions of Americans while supporting the communities and industries that that depend upon these precious resources.

I also would like to express my support for the amendment included by my good friend and fellow Pennsylvanian, Mr. Altmire.

In our home state of Pennsylvania, we believe that the 2nd Amendment is not only a right, but a way of life.

Hunting and fishing are important American outdoor traditions that have been passed down from generation to generation.

Therefore, we have an obligation not only to defend our God given right to self-defense, but to protect against any encroachment on the rights of our sports men and women.

I am very proud to stand in support Mr. Altmire’s amendment, which will ensure that lands currently open to hunting, fishing, trapping, target shooting, and other forms of traditional recreation are protected.

In Congress, I will continue to stand in support of the 2nd Amendment - a fundamental guaranteed in the Constitution.

Furthermore, I will continue to oppose reductions in federal hunting acreage and will fight to ensure that opportunities for hunting and sport are maintained.

I urge my colleagues to vote in favor of HR 146 with the addition of Mr. Altmire’s amendment in defense of the US Constitution.

###

Zac Petkanas

Communications Director

Rep. Kathy Dahlkemper (PA-3)