Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Magazines for AR

What does everyone think about C-Products for AR-15 mags.
    Good? No good?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Magazines for AR

Can't say anything as to how reliable they are, but it looks like a little too much weight to be practical for a rifle...Now if you're laying suppressing fire down, then that's a different story.
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force! Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action. - George Washington

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Decholder View Post
    Can't say anything as to how reliable they are, but it looks like a little too much weight to be practical for a rifle
    what c-products mags are you talking about?

the only c-products mags i have experience with are their standard USGI mags...which weigh the same as all standard USGI mags...which are, of course, by far the most commonly used mags with AR-15s.

i have some c-products USGI mags and they are good to go. that also seems to be the general consensus among the training industry, etc. from what i can tell.

(ETA: here is an older thread on c-products mags...

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/212...magazines.html)
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; March 26th, 2009 at 01:26 PM.
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    what c-products mags are you talking about?

the only c-products mags i have experience with are their standard USGI mags...which weigh the same as all standard USGI mags...which are, of course, by far the most commonly used mags with AR-15s.

i have some c-products USGI mags and they are good to go. that also seems to be the general consensus among the training industry, etc. from what i can tell.

(ETA: here is an older thread on c-products mags...

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/212...magazines.html)
    My mistake, seems I misread the question...I was referring to the C-Mags from Beta Company.
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force! Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action. - George Washington

C-products mags acted like USGI mags for me....could only load 28 rounds without having to worry about tilt/misfeed, otherwise the same except "shinier" than USGI (Remind me of new DPMS AR Mags, only with Orange follower). Stick with Pmags IMHO. full 30, durable and reliable. Do a forum search or watch this:

I bought a bunch of their stainless steel AR mags...no issues and I can go 30 rounds!

Quote Originally Posted by PPM209 View Post
    I bought a bunch of their stainless steel AR mags...no issues and I can go 30 rounds!
    I agree with 30 rounds for target shooting. First question I'd pose to the OP is are we using these mags for target shooting or for a defensive/offensive purpose?
    Ask a combat Vet who's been in "The Sandbox" & they'll attest to the fact that USGI mags are not 100% reliable when fully loaded, hence the reason I only load 28 rounds. I'm not trying to start a separate point from the OP by stating that Pmags are more reliable, or that C mags are junk. I own both, I use both. Some guys load 30, some 29, some 26. Depends on what you think will give you good "ju-ju." My first Gunny instructed all of his Marines to load 28 rounds to prevent feed/jamming issues, so 28 it is for me.
    Taken from Magpul's website:

While malfunctions may occur for numerous reasons, the magazine follower is often
    cited as the root cause. Since the follower acts as a guide for applying the spring force to the
    ammunition, it forms a critical link. If a follower tilts and becomes misaligned then the
    ammunition may not feed properly into the weapon. When too severe, the misalignment in the
    follower can cause a jam inside the magazine resulting in complete magazine failure until the
    follower can be dislodged.

A little further into the article:

In the current USGI curved 30-round magazine, a plastic follower replaced the metallic
    follower. The first follower design for these magazines was black in color (See Figure 3.1
    above) and had a central post protruding from the bottom. This post was designed to prevent the
    spring from over-compression and was a great improvement over the original 20-round metallic
    follower in this regard. However, since a plastic follower flexes more than a metallic one, the
    black follower exhibited more tilting problems than had been previously observed. Detrimental
    follower tilting generally occurs along one rotational axis. Each rotational direction of
    displacement causes different problems. The first is when the rear of the follower dives down
    (backward tilt) causing the rounds to point up with the cartridge bases depressing into the
    magazine. This prevents the bolt from stripping the rounds and feeding them into the chamber
    during cycling. The second case occurs when the follower nose dives down (forward tilt)
    causing bullet tips to strike either the magazine body or to strike below the feed ramps on the
    upper receiver. If the follower is allowed to tilt too far in this second direction it can cause a
    complete magazine jam. Environmental hazards such as sand, dust or grime magnify this tilting
    problem since it can impede the natural travel of the follower.
    In order to correct this, the 2nd generation of M16 follower design reduces this
    detrimental tilt. This version is commonly referred to as the green follower because of its
    characteristic lime green color (See Figure 3.1 above). It has similar geometry to the black
    follower with the addition of a downward extension placed below the nose of the follower. This
    extension piece design reduces excessive tilting unlike the black follower which lacks this
    feature. Theoretically, this is a correct method for improving reliability but the method chosen to
    implement this theory proved less than optimal. The reason is because the green follower
    extension only reduces backwards tilt and does not mitigate forward tilting. Thus while the
    green follower shows an improvement over its black follower predecessor, it only addresses half of the problem and can still tilt enough to cause malfunctions.

URL for full article here

BTW where'd you find stainless mags? How much? Recent purchase? good price?
    (Can you tell I want more mags?)

(Lycoming County)

i have been using usgi mags for years, putting a full 30 rds in each mag. and i have yet to have a problem with tilt, or anything else for that matter. so my question is what is the deal with this 28 rd cap i keep reading about?
    ok i went a read the above artical, which was very informative. but i have not had any issues with my green follower mags. maybe i should knock on wood
    Last edited by o1dakota440; March 26th, 2009 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter9x19 View Post
    BTW where'd you find stainless mags? How much? Recent purchase? good price?
    (Can you tell I want more mags?)
    Ironically, the cheapest place I found them was through C-Products themselves! (Who'da thought? )

http://www.cproductsllc.com/shop/ind...a92282591ccd01

$12.95 a piece - shipping is reasonable. I waited six weeks for the order to go through...that was January.

Other places had them cheaper - but were out of stock!

(Luzerne County)

About half of my 30 AR magazines are from CProducts. Zero problems or issues. I have no want/need/desire to jump on the PMag bandwagon.

The other half are a mix of AR Stoner, Bushmaster and some authentic USGI. All mags either came with the latest anit-tilt followers or were upgraded to them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast