Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Smile Just ordered first gun, next steps?

Hey all,

Long-time lurker of these forums, first time poster. I got my LTCF last June and finally scrounged up enough money to buy my first handgun. I decided on a Sig P229R 9mm. Having only shot once before (.45, 9mm, and a .357), I think 9mm was a good choice, as I don't want to develop any poor shooting habits, like flinching, etc.

The Sig felt great in my hands, compared to the Glock 19 or the new Springfield XDM (19 rds was hard to say no to though).

So my question is, while I wait for the gun to come in, what other things should I be thinking about buying? I know I want to CC so I've been looking at a few holsters (Comp-tac MTAC looks to be my favorite so far), but what else am I going to need? A range bag? Ear/Eye protection? Ammo?

I'd like to get all this stuff beforehand, so I can immediately try out my new gun as soon as it's in :-)

My last question is where is a decent place to learn how to shoot in Berks County? I live in Douglassville, so anywhere relatively close to there would be ideal.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Just ordered first gun, next steps?

First and foremost: Get yourself to an NRA Basic Pistol Course.

Everything else is of secondary importance right now, in my opinion.

Have fun with your new gun, and be safe.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax777 View Post
    Hey all,

but what else am I going to need? A range bag? Ear/Eye protection? Ammo?
    First off gratz on the new buy, I have a Sig 226 9mm Blackwater Tactical and a Sig 229 SCT in 40 S&W and love them. I would not trade those pistols for anything.

Second I agree a basic Pistol course is a good idea especially if you are new to shooting. I have not taken it but I have had Firearms safety instruction since I was a boy.

Its a given you will need eyes/ears just about every where you go. I do not think a range bag in needed, but could be nice if you have a little extra cash. Ammo is also a must as a gun with no ammo is useless. I would get a few hundred rounds off cheep FMJ and then look for some good JHP for carry. both my Sigs eat Winchester White Box form walmart well. and its cheep if you can find it.

I do not know the area but some ranges make you buy their ammo so find that out before hand.

Also you may want to look into joining a gun club. Range Time can really start adding up after a few trips and the Club can be the better bang for the buck in the long run.
    Last edited by Mr_Anderson; March 26th, 2009 at 07:03 AM.

(Allegheny County)

As others have said ... here is what I would suggest

1. *Training Course
    2. *Ammo
    3. *Ear and Eye protection
    4. Holster ... I use an Uncle Mike's IWB for my CC holster, but looking to upgrade a little.
    5. Range bag

* definitely needed
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

I think a few good local shooting buddies would come before anything.
    If you know a few people that have been into shooting sports for a long time, they could be a wealth of safety information for you at the right price.

Only reason I say they should come before the training, if at all possible, is that they can instruct you beyond the most basic safety issues and get you on the range. I would want to have a few months of range time under my belt and familiarity of the firearm to make a more informed opinion on training that is suited for me. I don't want to assume anything, but lets assume you don't need a basic training class and your money would be better spent on more of a self defense type class that is a step above the basic safety training.

If you don't know a couple trustworthy individuals to get you shooting at the range, then I would default to basic training and say that is money very well spent.

You should have bought the XDm and spent the other couple hundred bucks on ammo, but that is 20/20 vision and I'm a biased springfield owner/fan.

And don't forget to look here for training info.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/training-courses-122/
    Last edited by beerhunter; March 26th, 2009 at 08:35 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Congrats - and Welcome to the Forum
    Great choice on your first gun. I think choosing one chambered in 9mm was a smart choice. Besides recoil, 9mm ammo is the least expensive of the self defense calibers. You'll be able to afford more ammo and that will equate to more trigger time.

I'll echo what others have said. If you are new to shooting, training is most important and to do that you'll need eyes, ears, and ammo - lots of ammo.

I'd try to pick up at least 1000 rounds of some decent range ammo. You'll be surprised at how fast you can go through 1000 rounds, especially if you are new to shooting. Your Sig should eat just about anything you feed it, but before you commit to a large quantity of any one type, make sure your gun will feed it.
    The only ammo that I've ever had a feeding problem with in any of my Sigs was Fiocchi 40S&W. For some reason my one P229 just didn't like it, but my other P229 had no problems with it. If you stick with Federal American Eagle, Remington UMC, Speer Lawman, or WWB (Winchester White Box) you shouldn't have any problems.

Good luck!

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Chester County)

Hey all,

In case it hasn't been said yet, I recommend becoming proficient and comfortable with
    your Sig BEFORE you begin to carry it with you. Take safety classes. Practice a lot.

If you carry before you are proficient, and the shit hits the fan, that pistol could be more dangerous
    to you (or your companions) than not having it.

Learn (and live by) the cardinal rules.

Good choice of pistol. I'm a big Sig fan

Cheers,

Chris
    Last edited by skyjerk; March 26th, 2009 at 09:12 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Hey all,

Long-time lurker of these forums, first time poster. I got my LTCF last June and finally scrounged up enough money to buy my first handgun. I decided on a Sig P229R 9mm. Having only shot once before (.45, 9mm, and a .357), I think 9mm was a good choice, as I don't want to develop any poor shooting habits, like flinching, etc.

The Sig felt great in my hands, compared to the Glock 19 or the new Springfield XDM (19 rds was hard to say no to though).

So my question is, while I wait for the gun to come in, what other things should I be thinking about buying? I know I want to CC so I've been looking at a few holsters (Comp-tac MTAC looks to be my favorite so far),
    but what else am I going to need? A range bag? Ear/Eye protection? Ammo?

I'd like to get all this stuff beforehand, so I can immediately try out my new gun as soon as it's in :-)

My last question is where is a decent place to learn how to shoot in Berks County? I live in Douglassville, so anywhere relatively close to there would be ideal.

Hi MadMax. If going by what you need then the needs are few. IMO you need a gun, ammo, holster and maturity.

I understand that there are other considerations which are mentioned such as eye and ear protection, and which seems to be emphasized, a training course. A range bag, cleaning kit and a bottle of water are good ideas too. But I want to touch base on the training course idea or necessity.

You're still waiting for your gun so what I'm about to say may not even apply to you. Though if you have yet to receive any training when you do in fact get your gun in hand then read on.

Please, don't misunderstand me, I agree that training is important in anything that we do if we wish to be at least be proficient and especially good at what we are engaged in. However in being mature about purchasing a firearm advanced inquire on the "how to" is a given.

Owning and especially carrying a firearm is serious, probably one of the most important decisions we will make in our lives. What seems to throw a red flag up for me is when it almost seems that it (training class/course) is imperative or a must do prior to carrying. I would not want to see anyone wait until they are institutionally "well trained" before they carry because it may be too late. Oh hell, here I go with doom and gloom Armageddon end of times.

There's no excuse or IMO a valid reason why anyone who can read and especially has access to the Internet cannot get the fundamentals of it without any "official" training. Right, get training, but it doesn't have to be a course. It's not a need. But by the same token it is a need to be mature about owning a firearm and IMO that means you must take the initiative to be a responsible gun owner. In the mean time carry.

Okay... this sounds a bit redundant or even contradictory when I re-read what I just wrote. In other words it may be that I just don't want to ever see training made to be a prerequisite to owning and carrying a gun. It's not. Then again it will be said that having ammo for your gun isn't a prerequisite either, but do we have to go there?

This had been discussed somewhere here before I'm pretty sure. Am I just starting trouble? Jeez...
    Last edited by Harry; March 26th, 2009 at 09:45 AM.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by eXceLon View Post
    First and foremost: Get yourself to an NRA Basic Pistol Course.

Everything else is of secondary importance right now, in my opinion.

Have fun with your new gun, and be safe.
    I agree. Begin to look at basic safety rules.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    As others have said ... here is what I would suggest

1. *Training Course
    2. *Ammo
    3. *Ear and Eye protection
    4. Holster ... I use an Uncle Mike's IWB for my CC holster, but looking to upgrade a little.
    5. Range bag

* definitely needed
    Get the ammo while your waiting. Dont forget to pick up a couple boxes of what you plan on carrying to make sure it works with your gun. I recommend breaking you gun in before you carry it or shoot what you plan on carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by beerhunter View Post
    I think a few good local shooting buddies would come before anything.
    If you know a few people that have been into shooting sports for a long time, they could be a wealth of safety information for you at the right price.

Only reason I say they should come before the training, if at all possible, is that they can instruct you beyond the most basic safety issues and get you on the range. I would want to have a few months of range time under my belt and familiarity of the firearm to make a more informed opinion on training that is suited for me. I don't want to assume anything, but lets assume you don't need a basic training class and your money would be better spent on more of a self defense type class that is a step above the basic safety training.

If you don't know a couple trustworthy individuals to get you shooting at the range, then I would default to basic training and say that is money very well spent.

You should have bought the XDm and spent the other couple hundred bucks on ammo, but that is 20/20 vision and I'm a biased springfield owner/fan.

And don't forget to look here for training info.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/training-courses-122/
    Youll learn alot if you know or find other people who have been shooting.

The only thing I would add to what has already been said is: See if you can find a copy of the owners manual on line and read it. If you cant do your self a favor and read it before you head out to shoot.

(Berks County)

Smile Re: Just ordered first gun, next steps?

Wow. Thanks everyone for the great responses. I think in my excitement yesterday, I didn't clarify a few things properly.

I'm definitely planning on taking a basic pistol safety course. The first time I shot before, I went with a friend who has been shooting since he was a kid. However, he lives about 2 hrs away and I'd rather not drive that far to shoot.

I'd also like to take some concealed carry/self-defense specific training before actually carrying. Like a few of you said, and I agree, carrying without knowing how to handle a potential dangerous situation is likely to do more harm than good. The incredible responsibility of carrying around something that can end someone's life in an instant also weighs heavily on me and I want to be perfectly comfortable handling that.

From what everyone said, I think my ideal course of action is to get the basic things I need to go to the range and familiarize myself with my gun. I'll probably meet up with my friend and spend a day shooting a few hundred rounds.

Reading around on the internet about 9mm ammo, it seems like Wal-mart is the cheapest place to get it, if you can find it. So I'll be checking out my local Walmarts and seeing what I can get.

Thanks again to everyone. The worst part now is just waiting for the gun shop to call :-)