Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Help with AR-15 Purchase

Hey guys, sry i know im not from PA, but ive been reading a bit on your forums and i love how knowledgeable everyone here is a out stuff so i just had to apply so i could learn a little more

Ive been an avid Hunter/Gun Enthusiast all my life so no need to treat me like ive got training wheels on but the extent of my knowledge about AR-15's are limited to basically what i can learn online......so i figured ask one of yall here and maybe i could get pointed in the right direction.

So basically i plan on getting an AR-15 when the next gun show comes to town in a few weeks, ill just start rattling off some points and we'll see where this goes.

1st things 1st, money wont be an issue here, as long as i can keep the initial cost of the gun (new in box) under 2k its fine ......yeah i know, no HK-416

2nd thing: i need this gun to be able to take a big woopin' and keep on tickin', this gun will go with me on extended multiple month excursions, being exposed to anything from freezing temperatures to 100 degree heat, gulf humidity, sand, dirt, water, and mud ......so far this has led me the (LE 6920 Colt)

3rd: i dont know where the accuracy goes on these things much after 600 meters but im looking for something that can do at least 600 maybe more, if not well, just let me know what yall know please

and 4th: adaptability, what kind of variety of parts can i put on it, rails, sights, triggers, etc. i know the colt has bigger pins in it than the other ARs, will that effect its ability to be customized with different accessories? ie, different uppers, or stuff like that

Basically the most important aspect of this gun is i need something that i can take to the ends of the earth and back with me and still have complete confidence in the integrity of the gun every time i fire a round through it while maintaining a good pattern up to at least 600 meters

dunno whats out there guys, but maybe yall could throw in some info here for me

thanks guys

Edit: also, i am limited to the amount of gun cleaning supplies i can have with me at all time
    Last edited by Rock501; March 25th, 2009 at 11:31 PM. Reason: add more info

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Help with AR-15 Purchase

Normally, I would say to build your own, but good uppers are so hard to find now, and lowers are selling for twice what they're worth. If you can get a Colt M4 for around $1500, that may be a real good place to start. I would start checking gun shops, prices at gun shows can get jacked up.

600 yards is pushing the limit for the 5.56mm round. Are you looking to make head shots, or just hit a 1:1 scale human torso silhouette target? Either way, one of many 1-4x scopes wouldn't be a bad idea (Meopta K-Dot, Trijicon AccuPoint, something like those).

The large Colt trigger pins are not a big deal. Most companies that make triggers make them for large-pin Colts. For 600 yard shooting, you probably want a 2-stage. My rifles have worked over military triggers, I don't really know what's hot.

Re: Cleaning supplies - an Otis pull-though kit, a chamber brush, and one of the smaller bolt carrier carbon scrapers will do the job, and not take up much more room than a couple hockey pucks.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Bucks County)

Rule #1: Do NOT attempt to buy an AR-15 from a gun show. Demand is too high for you to not get bent over, and it's BYO-Vaseline.

I would lurk on gunbroker.com daily to look at what prices are doing. If you are dead set on a 6920, you'll be hard-pressed to find one for much less than $1,600 (at least based on what I've seen over the past 2 weeks).

Good luck!

(Chester County)

The 6920 is one of the most bomb-proof guns you can get....but for shooting out past 300m...the 20" barrels start to look attractive.

If you decide to run a 20" upper, they run softer/ more reliably than the carbines...so a match grade precision upper might run with the reliability you require.

Also, generally speaking, as distances go up, rate of fire goes down...so if you're shooting at long distance, you're probably not going to be pushing the system as much, either.

My vote would be for one of these:
    http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...ail.bok?no=100
    On an LMT lower.

If you are going to be doing mostly distance, go with the 20". If you're not going to be doing 600m often and doing some training courses...go with the 16". If you're gonna do both, get a 6920, then a 20" stealth upper later.

Multiple guns satisfy multiple needs best. When you try and make 1 gun do too many different things, you start having to make trade offs.

ok, cool, yeah actually just saw one at a show this past weekend for $1539 so im gunna keep my fingers crossed.

now just out of curiosity if you had to pick a second gun, then what would that be, also does it necessarily have to be a match barrel? and really im only worried about keeping a 12''x12'' pattern up to 600 yards

(Allegheny County)

What is the purpose of the second gun? Is one for closer ranges, and another for 600m?

As for Purchases, you won't really find these at the gun show ... but LMT, BCM are just as tough as Colts.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Centre County)

Lots of choices for AR calibers. You can get them in 7.62 NATO, 5.56, .223, .204, .308, .338, .260, .243, 6.8SPC. A longer barrel (possibly a match grade barrel) would probably do you better if you are looking for the real long range shots. IMO, if you are looking to go that long range, I would go with something in the .30 cal range.

Just about all (notice I did not say all) AR's made today can take some rough handling (not abuse however) and work fine. Even a Colt is going to have problems if abused. AR's are just like any rifle, treat they correctly and they will give you years of service.

IIRC, Colt has gotten away from the odd sized pins so that shouldn't be a problem unless you pick up an older one.

There are just too many sites to list for accessories for the AR. That is the nice thing, they are so standardized that what goes on one will fit on another (unless it is specially made by a company to fit only their accessory).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

nah, really to be honest its not hard at all to find a wide range of different ARs at the High Caliber Gun Shows that come here every month or so in Houston. Its actually (from what i consider) a blessing

But i apologize i should have been more specific in my 2nd post
    PHP Code:
    now just out of curiosity if you had to pick a second gunthen what would that be 
    --what i should have asked instead is, is there another AR-15 out there that can compare (as far as durability goes) that doesn't nail you as hard as the LE 6920 would in the wallet?

--and going back to accuracy, 12"x12" at 600 meters would be nice, but from what im starting to hear from different people that ive spoken to is very rarely does anyone take a shot at 600 yards.....if so, (which im sure my friend is right) what is ideal accuracy and what would you consider exceptional/good accuracy for an AR with a barrel under 20"?

--and finally, ive noticed not just on this site but on others as well people comparing Smith & Wesson to the Colt AR's.......is it really that decent of a comparison? if so does anyone know what/why/how?

thanks

(Chester County)

[QUOTE=

2nd thing: i need this gun to be able to take a big woopin' and keep on tickin', this gun will go with me on extended multiple month excursions, being exposed to anything from freezing temperatures to 100 degree heat, gulf humidity, sand, dirt, water, and mud ......so far this has led me the (LE 6920 Colt)

[/QUOTE]
    Are you in the military or something? Just curious what kind of excursions you are talking about, sounds interesting.

nah, i went through the corps of cadets program for 4 years while i went to Texas A&M, but other than those 4 years of military regimentation im just a regular texas citizen.....but with 4 years of military training

its going to be used for a variety of things in a variety of different climates all over Texas and the neighboring states so it just seemed like a good "generalization" word

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast