Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Altering a rem 700?

I am kinda new to the idea and how to even start, but I am intrested in purchasing a Remington 700 and modifing it from its original condition. Sock, scope, bipod, 10 round mag maybe and any other things i might be able to do to it. How ever i have seen these sites that sell already costomized rem700s for pricees from high 1000's to mid 2000's. The question i want to post is weather or not it would be even worth it to spend the money on costomizing a gun from scratch just to have a neet looking sniper rifle that i would end up only useing once or twice a year for the same thing the gun was designed for; buy one that some one else took the time, takes the pride of doing the alterations my self away; or just go head and buy one put a decent glass on it and see what spreds i can get from 100 to 300 yards and call it a day.
    -Ryan

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Altering a rem 700?

Quote Originally Posted by loki780 View Post
    I am kinda new to the idea and how to even start, but I am intrested in purchasing a Remington 700 and modifing it from its original condition. Sock, scope, bipod, 10 round mag maybe and any other things i might be able to do to it. How ever i have seen these sites that sell already costomized rem700s for pricees from high 1000's to mid 2000's. The question i want to post is weather or not it would be even worth it to spend the money on costomizing a gun from scratch just to have a neet looking sniper rifle that i would end up only useing once or twice a year for the same thing the gun was designed for; buy one that some one else took the time, takes the pride of doing the alterations my self away; or just go head and buy one put a decent glass on it and see what spreds i can get from 100 to 300 yards and call it a day.
    -Ryan

I have a stock 700 20" Tact (cleaned up the trigger) and I am pulling low .3's @ 100yds. I'm still dialing in the loads, so I got room to shrink. I guess what I am saying is, are you sure you even want the extras? I mean, for that kind of money you could be 3 700s like I have. You would be better off buying a bulled 700, 16x+ optics and spend the rest on a reloading setup
    Last edited by Fr0sty; March 25th, 2009 at 10:08 PM.

Wouldn't have a clue about all the realoading except i have I have a cousin in abliline whos a smith and reloads, he said a while back he would show me though. How much do the setups usualy run? And what would be the best cal to use for distance? i know 30-06 is pretty heavy and has a drop, but u'm pretty unfamiliar when it comes to any thing that isn't milsurp let alone long range precision. Kinda a noob in that sence. So i dont know any thing about loads, grains or much of anything about bullet and rifle tech.
    Last edited by loki780; March 25th, 2009 at 11:10 PM.

(Dauphin County)

Twenty years ago I bought a Rem 700 BDL 7mm Rem Mag. I sold the stock for $75. I then bought a fiberglass/Kevlar stock, bipod, Bausch & Lomb 6-24x scope. The trigger has not yet been tweaked. Shooting at 100 yards, I can completely cover 5 shot groups with a quarter. When I finally settled on the proper load several groups could be covered by a dime.

holy damn.... yeah, thats about the spread i'm lookin for. love to be able to hit a snuff can at around 300yds (cold barrel optional)

(Dauphin County)

I don't know about snuff cans, I have hit groundhogs at over 600 paces.

Quote Originally Posted by loki780 View Post
    -Ryan
    First off, I'm not really sure if you understand what "custom" Remington rifle's really cost. My Remington 700 that is customized has over $2000 of JUST parts in it. That is NOT including what the gunsmithing fees would cost you. A custom build is NOT something that you do quickly, because if you're going with a custom barrel, the lead time on many of them is minimum 4 months, unless you have a contour that is already in stock. This doesn't leave a lot of options, material, length, etc. Especially for a rifle that you're going to only shoot sometimes, it's not even worth bothering for you to build, or even purchase a custom rifle. If you're talking about custom rifles that are in the $1,000-2,000 range, you're probably looking at rifles that are in McMillan stocks, barely trued up, and still with a factory tube on it. Either way, they're a far cry from a full custom build, and they may not even be any more accurate than some of the other rifles mentioned here.

You mention shooting snuff cans at 300 yards, which would be just under 1 moa or so. That's not a problem at all even with many factory rifles, seeing as how most will shoot under 1 moa or better with quality ammo or reloads. I would say that any of the heavy barreled Remington 700's will be fine for you. If you are wanting something a bit different that is already free floated and in a nice stock, there are a few options. You could look at the 700P, 5R, or Sendero. All of those rifles are more than capable of doing what you like, and they're some of the nicer higher end "tactical rifles". Since you won't be reloading and new, you don't want a magnum or heavy hitter, especially if you're just punching paper. I'd say that you should go with .308 or less, even a .223 would do fine at 300 yards. Either way, that's just my thoughts on your needs.

the snuff can remark was kinda of a joke. But i'm pickin up what your puttin down.
    Last edited by loki780; March 26th, 2009 at 02:12 PM.