Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New in every sense of the word, have questions about transporting my new gun.

I'm supposed to be picking up my first firearm today at 1p. I have concerns with bringing it home because the seller is providing ammo, and I don't have a trunk in my car. It's a 93 hatchback, and I am missing the cargo cover. As I recall, hatchback cargo areas count as the passenger area when it comes to drugs and guns. If I had the cargo cover, I'd just put the gun in the hatch and the ammo in the locked storage bin, but I'm afraid that someone will see it or the reflection in the glass and freak out. The last thing I need is to get stopped and have a cop see that.

I had considered putting the ammo in the locked storage bin and the gun in the locked glovebox, but again, if I get stopped and have a gun falling out of the glovebox, that's not good.

Any tips would be good. As I said this is my first gun and I haven't applied for my LTCF yet.

Thanks,

-Brian

Default Re: New in every sense of the word, have questions about transporting my new gun.

Do you have a friend with a LTCF who can go with you? That would work.

Default Re: New in every sense of the word, have questions about transporting my new gun.

No, my mom has a couple but they all work.

(York County)

Just keep the gun and ammo seperate and out of sight. Don't drive in a way that would get you pulled over.
    I'm assuming this is a handgun, and you're doing the deal at a gun shop. You'll have some paperwork (receipt from the transfer and a bill of sale) so, there should not be any problems.
    Even if you did get pulled over, just tell the cop you just bought the gun...no big deal.

I do suggest you go directly home, after the purchase (unless you're going to a range).

BTW, when I pick up a gun, it's usually in a bag from the gun shop. Although I rarely make stops on the way home, if I do, I throw a jacket over the gun. Of course, I throw a jacket over anything I may have in the car.
    I have my LTCF...and I suggest you get yours too. There's few good deals anymore, but a 5 year LTCF for 25 bucks is one of them....don't put it off!
    Last edited by RoyJackson; March 25th, 2009 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    Just keep the gun and ammo seperate and out of sight. Don't drive in a way that would get you pulled over.
    I'm assuming this is a handgun, and you're doing the deal at a gun shop. You'll have some paperwork (receipt from the transfer and a bill of sale) so, there should not be any problems.
    Even if you did get pulled over, just tell the cop you just bought the gun...no big deal.
    Yes, under the law you're OK without a LTCF if you meet certain exceptions

(8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not
    loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase
    to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair,
    sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business,
    or in moving from one place of abode or business to another
    or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or
    dwelling or back...

Just made a couple of calls and it looks like I'm on my own.

I'll just have to be careful.

Thanks for your input Goon and Roy.

(Schuylkill County)

From the handy pamphlet by Pa Patriot.

Without a LTCF, or other state permit, handguns may only
    be transported, unloaded, to and from specific activities and
    locations. To and from: The place of purchase, repair, range,
    hunting location, etc. For a complete list and comprehensive
    limitations please see 18 PACS §6106(b).
    Last edited by Coops; March 25th, 2009 at 10:01 AM. Reason: added reference

(Franklin County)

There is an exemption to the licensing statute for situation just like this. The requirements are that the firearm be unloaded, and "in a secure wrapper", and that you travel directly home from the shop. Don't stop for gas, lunch, errands, or to show a buddy your purchase.
    §6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

(2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(b) Exceptions.-The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(1) Constables, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens, or their deputies, policemen of this Commonwealth or its political subdivisions, or other law-enforcement officers.

(2) Members of the army, navy or marine corps of the United States or of the National Guard or organized reserves when on duty.

(3) The regularly enrolled members of any organization duly organized to purchase or receive such weapons from the United States or from this Commonwealth.

(4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with rifle, pistol, or revolver, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the cartridges or shells are carried in a separate container and the rifle, pistol or revolver is unloaded.

(5) Officers or employees of the United States duly authorized to carry a concealed firearm.

(6) Agents, messengers and other employees of common carriers, banks, or business firms, whose duties require them to protect moneys, valuables and other property in the discharge of such duties.

(7) Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of any such person, having in his possession, using or carrying a firearm in the usual or ordinary course of such business.

(8) Any person while carrying a firearm unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(6)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police) or to a location to which the person has been directed to surrender firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. §6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the surrendered firearm.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Good thing I got gas last night in anticipation of the trip I'm making today. I didn't even think about it in that sense.

When they say "secure wrapper", I'm buying the gun used from a forum member, and it's not coming in a case. It's coming in a cardboard box. In your experience and/or opinion, will it be enough to have it in a locked storage compartment in my car?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
    Good thing I got gas last night in anticipation of the trip I'm making today. I didn't even think about it in that sense.

When they say "secure wrapper", I'm buying the gun used from a forum member, and it's not coming in a case. It's coming in a cardboard box. In your experience and/or opinion, will it be enough to have it in a locked storage compartment in my car?
    I believe a locked storage compartment would suffice.

Another alternative is to use a cheap "gun cable" lock that you run through the chamber/bore of the gun so that you can't fire it. If you don't have one, they don't cost much, and a lot of gun shops sell them. Even though the latter isn't a wrapper, if it prevents the gun from being fired I'm sure you're OK.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; March 25th, 2009 at 09:57 AM.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast