Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Hi guys, I am a noob with a question....

Hello all, I am noob to PA gun laws and I have been searching all over for answers but can't find anything.
    Is it illegal for someone from NJ to come to PA and buy a semi-auto rifle or handgun? I have no priors of any kind, clean record. I am 24 and I am looking to try and get around all the BS that goes with NJ. Am I out of luck buying in PA with just proof of ID or am I still subject to NJ and thier laws and regulations? I am just interested in going to the range with my OWN gun. I just do not want to go through all of the applications, waiting lists, fingerprint fees etc etc with NJ if I do not have to.

Thanks

Default Re: Hi guys, I am a noob with a question....

Quote Originally Posted by dondawg00 View Post
    Hello all, I am noob to PA gun laws and I have been searching all over for answers but can't find anything.
    Is it illegal for someone from NJ to come to PA and buy a semi-auto rifle or handgun? I have no priors of any kind, clean record. I am 24 and I am looking to try and get around all the BS that goes with NJ. Am I out of luck buying in PA with just proof of ID or am I still subject to NJ and thier laws and regulations? I am just interested in going to the range with my OWN gun. I just do not want to go through all of the applications, waiting lists, fingerprint fees etc etc with NJ if I do not have to.

Thanks
    Get out of there!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Get out of there!!!!!
    Man, your right!! I can think of at least 20 good reasons right off the top of my head. It is just hard for me because I have a youngster on the way and I would be concerned about finding work. It sounds very tempting to me, less BS etc etc, I could go on about NJ for hours. haha

(Lebanon County)

If my understanding is correct, you can buy a gun here, but you can't avoid the NJ hassles by doing it. First, it must be a gun that's legal in NJ, then you must have it shipped from a Pa dealer to a NJ dealer and go through all of the same steps as you would if you were buying it from your NJ dealer.
    If my understanding is incorrect in any way I know there will be someone here to correct me in short order.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Centre County)

mauser, you are correct.

dondawg00, unlike the free states of the USA, which allows law abiding people to go into neighboring states and buy long arms (but not handguns, they by Fed laws have to go through a FFL in your home state), the Peoples Republik of NJ does not allow this. To buy a long arm in an adjoining state (like the free state of PA) you must still meet all of the requirements as if you were buying a gun in PRNJ. Sorry, doesn't look like that is going to change until the serfs of NJ rise up and put a decent government in place.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lebanon County)

Don't tell Bryan Miller.

(Lawrence County)

I'm also going to say move, but as you've said, that isn't really an option. unfortunatly, while you live in Jersey, you have to follow Jersy's laws, no matter how stupid they are... That means the FOID card and the whole 9 yards... I spent some time there when I was driving tractor trailer, not really interested in going back... lol What is with those "Round-about" things? Makes no sense... lol

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Schuylkill County)

You still need a NJ Firearms Purchaser ID card complete with fingerprints and background check. Once you get that you might as well buy the gun in NJ since its less hassle. See your local police.

Thanks for clearing this up for me guys, looks like I am going to try and get permission to purchase a gun here first, if all else fails, and I get denied just because they feel like being that way. I will be moving, I do not live very far from the NJ/PA border, so I can commute. To hell with this state.