Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default going to apply for LTCF, I have a problem.

I've lived in Cumberland county for about 7 years. The problem is I don't really know anyone else that lives here. My family and freinds all live in York co or Dauphin which is where I grew up and now work.

What am I suppose to do? I know my neighbors pretty well but I honestly don't know if I want them to know I'm getting it. Or if they would be a reference.

I guess I need to have the phone numbers and addresses for 2 references that I have known for atleast a year.

Any ideas?

(Chester County)

Default Re: going to apply for LTCF, I have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by brewguy View Post
    I've lived in Cumberland county for about 7 years. The problem is I don't really know anyone else that lives here. My family and freinds all live in York co or Dauphin which is where I grew up and now work.

What am I suppose to do? I know my neighbors pretty well but I honestly don't know if I want them to know I'm getting it. Or if they would be a reference.

I guess I need to have the phone numbers and addresses for 2 references that I have known for atleast a year.

Any ideas?
    Its preferred that references be from the same county, but its not required.

The only "official" requirement is that references not be family members. No mention of the residency of references is on the LTCF application itself. However, some sheriffs try and impose their own restrictions for references.

Such is the case for Cumberland Co., from the sheriff's website

6. What do I need to bring with me to apply for a License to carry Firearms?

You will be required to show photo identification, preferably your current driver’s license or a photo identification card issued by PennDOT, with correct address. You will need the mailing addresses and home telephone numbers of two character references that are residents of Cumberland County, and that you have known for at least one year. You will also need to bring the required fee (cash, money order or certified check is accepted; credit cards are not accepted).
    Some sheriffs do not even call references anyway.
    Last edited by HiredGoon; March 24th, 2009 at 12:49 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    The only "official" requirement is that references not be family members. No mention of the residency of references is on the LTCF application itself. However, some sheriffs try and impose their own restrictions for references.

Such is the case for Cumberland Co., from the sheriff's website

Some sheriffs do not even call references anyway.
    That is what I read which had me concerned.

(Cumberland County)

I would simply tell them what you told us, when you go to hand it in. Thats the best you can do, an they will probley accept that. They never called mine anyhow. They are a nice bunch in the Carlisle Courthouse, from my experience there anyhow.

Good luck to you

Quote Originally Posted by 40 cal View Post
    I would simply tell them what you told us, when you go to hand it in. Thats the best you can do, an they will probley accept that. They never called mine anyhow. They are a nice bunch in the Carlisle Courthouse, from my experience there anyhow.

Good luck to you
    Yeah, I agree. Just put down who you have. If you pass the PICS background check, I don't see why they would care about the references. Of course if you don't pass PICS it wouldn't matter anyway

Good luck and let us know how it goes

The reference thing does not make sense anyway...who would put down a reference who would not say good things about them?

(Cumberland County)

I agree, you would have to be pretty bad to not have two people to list.

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Yeah, I agree. Just put down who you have. If you pass the PICS background check, I don't see why they would care about the references. Of course if you don't pass PICS it wouldn't matter anyway

Good luck and let us know how it goes

The reference thing does not make sense anyway...who would put down a reference who would not say good things about them?

(Chester County)

When I submitted a Chester County application I didn't put in-county people down as references. As the officer was entering my application into his computer he said, "Don't know anyone in Chester you want to use?" I told him the two I listed were more valid references than anyone I could use in Chester, which was, well, true. He nodded, said it's not a big deal, and sent me on my way.

Call ahead and explain your situation, but I seriously doubt it'll be an issue as long as you can provide a few people within state.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by clumsy01 View Post
    Call ahead and explain your situation, but I seriously doubt it'll be an issue as long as you can provide a few people within state.
    Just as there is no requirement that your references be in the same county, there is no requirement that they be Pa. residents.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by brewguy View Post

Any ideas?
    Everybody else answered this but why should that stop me? Both of my references live in Dauphin County and one of my wife's lives in NC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast