Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Can Anyone Help Me?

I recently lost my step-dad who was a retired marine. I was just handed down his pistol, a Colt 45 1911 serial # 319xxx. My Mom says that she thinks it was his in Viet Nam. Is there any way possble, to find out any history on this pistol? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

(York County)

Default Re: Can Anyone Help Me?

I'm no expert but I am a Marine so hopefully this will be helpful. I think you'll have a hard time tracing a particular gun because the armory would take pieces off broken ones and put on other ones so your slide might be off another one. Either way that is something I would be very proud to own.

Semper Fi,
    Brian

Should say US property on it, usually on the right side.

I'd keep and cherish it, like I do my Grandfathers guns I have
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Monroe County)

serial numbers says it was made between May 1918 and Oct. 1918 and atleast the frame is a true 1911.

I would need better pics of several parts to further date it but it appears to be a typical armory rebuild and rebuild and rebuild.

Hard to tell but safety appears to be 1911 generation 1 and the slide release appears to be 1911A1

No matter what, as others have said. Charish it and at minimum shoot it once a year, every year on your fathers date of passing to comemerate his life and what he gave to his country.

Rich W.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warners Surplus View Post
    serial numbers says it was made between May 1918 and Oct. 1918 and atleast the frame is a true 1911.

I would need better pics of several parts to further date it but it appears to be a typical armory rebuild and rebuild and rebuild.

Hard to tell but safety appears to be 1911 generation 1 and the slide release appears to be 1911A1

No matter what, as others have said. Charish it and at minimum shoot it once a year, every year on your fathers date of passing to comemerate his life and what he gave to his country.

Rich W.
    The long trigger and flat mainspring housing are pre-A1 as well.
    That's good advice, Rich. It's a gem for sure.

My thanks to you all.....
    To Brian...Thanks for the info. Didn't really think there would be a way. And I couldn't be prouder. Semper Fi...Sir!
    To TD...It's on the left side and I will. I also inherited his Dad's 1942 Winchester Model 24, 12 ga shotgun. So I know how you feel. It's like holding a piece of history. It's beautiful.
    To Rich and KP....Maybe you can help me cause I'm kinda confused now. I'm adding a few more pics to see if you can clear this up for me. I mean, there's no chance this could have been his Dad's, is there? Maybe with these pics, you will be able to spot something post-WWI. I just want to make sure it was my Dad's.
    And a special thanks to Rich for the suggestion. What a great idea...I will do just that. He was a good man. A Born Marine.
    Again...I thank you all...

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...0324091923.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...0324091924.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...324091924a.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...0324091929.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...0324091931.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...0324091933.jpg

(Lehigh County)

Sorry about your Dad.

To try and answer your last question; from what I have read about the arsenal system and these guns, it is entirely possible that a gun with parts like your Dad's could have seen service during the Viet Nam war, or really during any period after the 1911A1 was introduced.

The U.S. military made little distinction between serviceable 1911 and 1911A1 parts and issued what they had.

As an example, a gunshop pal of mine told me that he was issued a beautiful blued 1911 when he had to pull guard duty in Germany in the 1980's.

Good luck with your pistol.

Cheers,
    D

That's a nice piece and no matter what it is I personally would make it something that stayed in the family for many MANY generations!

I was supposed to get an original 50 cal Hawkin that hung on my grandfathers wall for as long as I can remember ... the damn thing disappeared and it just breaks my heart because I always related that gun with grandpa.

Figure out what it is (for your own knowledge) then hang on to it like life itself, then hand it down to your kid with the express rule that it NEVER leaves the family!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Laylojo View Post
    I recently lost my step-dad who was a retired marine. I was just handed down his pistol, a Colt 45 1911 serial # 319xxx. My Mom says that she thinks it was his in Viet Nam. Is there any way possble, to find out any history on this pistol? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
    That's an awesome gun. The history and personal connection that it has makes it one of a kind.

^THAT^ is a good looking gun, to me.

I thank eveyone again for their thoughts, help and advice. I will consider it being my Dad's pistol. And it will stay in the family....Proudly! I can't imagine the history this pistol must have been through.
    And to DC Dalton...Good luck with finding your Grand-dad's gun. Sometimes, things like that do have a way of finding their way back, to the one who cared the most.