Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Best deal on '08 Tax-Prep Software?

I used H&R Block Taxcut software the last few years. This year they've included "free e-file" which jacked the price up at least $15 over last year's price. TurboTax seems to have done the same.

I don't need no stinking e-file! Is anyone offering federal and state tax-prep software for a decent price? I'm not self-employed, a stock market wiz, or anything complicated; mostly just the one job, some dividends, and a little bit of savings account interest.
    Last edited by Suburban; March 22nd, 2009 at 11:42 PM.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Best deal on '08 Tax-Prep Software?

There are plenty of free ones, but I'm not sure if they all make you e-file.
    Why don't you want to? You get your return faster that way.

I used the free H&R Tax cut last yr and switched to TurboTax ($35) and my return went from $500 to 1400 and instead of owing $$ to the state, I came out even. And nothing significant has changed from 07 to 08 (as far as stuff that would affect my taxes) So it was definitely worth the extra $35 bucks.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaralaccs View Post
    There are plenty of free ones, but I'm not sure if they all make you e-file.
    Why don't you want to? You get your return faster that way.

I used the free H&R Tax cut last yr and switched to TurboTax ($35) and my return went from $500 to 1400 and instead of owing $$ to the state, I came out even. And nothing significant has changed from 07 to 08 (as far as stuff that would affect my taxes) So it was definitely worth the extra $35 bucks.
    What rebate? I'm not paying a mortgage, I have no dependents, I'm not in college, I don't loan the government money for free (extra elective deductions from paycheck), and I have dividends and interest that I have to declare. Even if I wasn't getting a rebate, I wouldn't pay extra to get it.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Bucks County)

I paid a total of $120ish for Turbo Tax this year. This included the federal and state e-files, and it was the investment version (to file my capital losses unfortunately). Got me a whopper of a tax return directly deposited into my account within 5 business days.

Last year I paid $350 to a CPA.

(Venango County)

just FYI, you can do the state return for free online at the states website. www.state.pa.us

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Chester County)

You can do a free Federal with e-file at www.taxact.com .

You can prepare online of download and do on your own computer.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Burton View Post
    I paid a total of $120ish for Turbo Tax this year. This included the federal and state e-files, and it was the investment version (to file my capital losses unfortunately). Got me a whopper of a tax return directly deposited into my account within 5 business days.

Last year I paid $350 to a CPA.
    Filling out the blanks on a tax program, cool as they are now, is not the same as a CPA doing and documenting the info and examining the return.
    IF the IRS comes calling, I like knowing I have my CPA with me in the meeting. I count the extra money as insurance.

Ask anyone with a certification, the CPA exam is recognized as the toughest certification in the country. (Above medical, MD, and Legal, JD)

I am not a CPA either, but I want one once a year to protect me.
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannytheman View Post
    Ask anyone with a certification, the CPA exam is recognized as the toughest certification in the country. (Above medical, MD, and Legal, JD)
    While I am not a CPA, I can tell you that the CPA process is not an easy one. What is commonly called "the CPA Exam" is actually a suite of four exams covering an enormous range of information (Business/Economic Concepts, Financial Accounting/Reporting, Auditing, and Regulations). These four areas are tested as individual units taken separately. As a whole, the exams are 14 hours in length, but no one takes them in one sitting.* The tests include both multiple choice and comprehensive free response sections. Considering the kind of work CPAs do, the level of testing and knowledge required are certainly appropriate. Earning the credential, though, is an arduous process.

I'm sure the licensing exams for doctors and lawyers are quite rigorous in their own right. Considering what's at stake in all of these professions, I wouldn't want it any other way.

* Many Moons Ago, CPA candidates used to take all four exams in one weekend. Since the advent and adoption of computerized testing, this has been changed so that candidates can take any one section at a time, in any order.
    Last edited by FNG19; March 23rd, 2009 at 11:16 AM.