Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lycoming County)

Default Any Rem. 700 DM kits take M14 mags?

Anyone know of a kit that uses the M14 mag.? I just acquired a good number of mags and now it makes it more practical to convert my Remington .308 700 Varminter bolt gun into a detachable magazine capable rifle.

Also, could the same kit be used with the Choate stock?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Be safe (and frugal).

Scott

(Union County)

Default Re: Any Rem. 700 DM kits take M14 mags?

Yeah, It's called an M1A Get one and forget working that bolt handle forever! lol
    Not familiar w/ anyone making what you're looking for but if you DO find it, please share w/ the rest of us as this is something I would love to do as well....even if it were w/ another type of cheap mil-surp box mag(FAL anyone?? ) And if there ISN'T somone offering this, let me know, it may just be what I was put on earth to devise....

But seriously, just get an M1A. Then i'll feel less guilty about owning 3... lol
    Last edited by MaxPower; March 22nd, 2009 at 05:38 AM.

(Bucks County)

square peg in a round hole.

either buy a M14 or put the mags up for sale. Depending on manufacture they go for about $ 25.

(Lebanon County)

Depends where you look, Trops in Elizabethtown has CMI 20 rounders priced at $54 each! If your mags are USGI, you may get a good price for them.

(Centre County)

I believe the issue lies in double stack vs. single stack. You either have to modify the M14 mags or worse yet, modify the rem700 receiver.

There are much better alternatives out there.

Badger Ordinance makes a very good DM system for the Rem 700. Sell the mags and go for a setup like that.

(Delaware County)

Badger offers 10 round mags for the 308

(Lycoming County)

All points well made and message received. The M1A would be great, but the whole frugal thing. I shoot them often, my single and childless friends (I tease them that this is an actual economic status and they should enjoy it) have many different variations, Socom II, Bush, Scouts up to Full size Match. I just do not have the dinero to put into one My main battle rifle is an SKS I even hunt ground hogs with it. I bought it many years ago for $69.95, if you bought 5. We got 5

I just thought I recall some years ago about a conversion kit that took the GI mags. Maybe it was a dream I had. As I get older, things seem to blend together. The Remington 700 was a 30th Birthday gift from a friend (10 years ago). I just thought I could bring it into the 21st Century with minimum outlay of funds.

Be safe (and inexpensive, where possible).

Scott

(Armstrong County)

H-S Precision and Accuracy Systems Inc. used to have the floor plate conversion kits.
    H-S Precision and Accuracy International also had a custom stock modified for the M-14 mags.
    Robar used to offer conversions back in 99-01 but they changed their business model.
    Currently the only company I know that make 700 to M1A conversions is Armalon in the UK

Your best bet would be to go to a Kwik Klip Remington Model 700 Clip Conversion Kit

An OC Activist and 1 of the 3%
    Ed Stephan
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

Pretty much when you go to a DBM set up, it's gonna be expensive for the Remington 700. Anything quality is gonna cost money, the cheaper set ups usually aren't very reliable or get loose and start dropping mags. I don't even like the HS Precision set up all that much, and neither does anybody else I know. That leaves only the select few companies where you're looking at $250 or more, plus expensive magazines, probably inletting, etc. For most people's uses, it's just not worth the hassle. Bolt rifles are a bit slower creature than semi's anyway, so it's not usually worth the hassle and cost for most people. I didn't know ANYBODY made a conversion to M1A magazines, and I'm pretty familiar with almost every accessory made for Remington, so good find from edstephan. That's still more expensive than going with a top quality DBM system, and who knows how reliable it is.

The kwik klip option is cheap, and works so so from what I hear. The Kwik Clip only comes in long action though, and your rifle is probably a short action. This means it probably won't work unless your rifle is a long action. Even if you inletted the stock for the long action, or got a different stock for the long action, the bolt, action, screw holes (etc) wouldn't be right and it won't work. So basically, it don't work. Sorry to burst some bubbles, but I'm just trying to give you an honest answer.