Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Question carry in allegheny national forest

sorry if this has been answered before I am new to this forum. I am a photographer and walk miles and miles all summer in the Allegheny national forest up in forest county pa. I have had a few close calls with wildlife ( 2 bears, fox, lots of snakes, and crazy deer) and would like to carry my pistol, just as a precautionary measure. First off I have a currant LTCF and would use it to frighten before hitting. Reading the laws and they are very confusing can anyone summarize a little bit for me. I am out in the forest both weekdays and week-ends including Sundays from before dawn to late nights. Would I be in trouble carrying under those circumstances?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: carry in allegheny national forest

At the moment: No, you can not.

Before Bush left office the Department of the Interior made a regulation change allowing for concealed carry in National Parks.

However as of a few days ago that rule change has been placed on hold pending a court case.

NRA-ILA: Concealed Carry in National Parks Suspended

Its a National Forest not a park... I have hunted there before... so I dont see why you cant carry?

"Additionally some firearm and weaponry laws apply which are as follows:

To carry a concealed weapon, you must have a protection weapon permit from your county sheriff in PA".

http://www.outdoor.com/places/nation...tional-forest/
    Last edited by Bug44; March 21st, 2009 at 12:54 AM.
    ΑΣΦ

(Allegheny County)

you absolutely CAN carry in allegheny national forest.

you have always been able to and still can.

unlike national parks, national forests have always followed the laws of the state in which they are located. so PA law applies...and there is no PA law saying you canno carry in ANF.

the DOI rule only effects national parks, not national forests.
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

I wasn't aware of the distinction between a "national forest" and a "national park". Glad to see I was mistaken. Thanks for the correction.

(Allegheny County)

Sounds like a national forest has different rules than a national park. I think i will take it with me and if i see a warden i can ask him... I have 64 stitches from a deer and have had to chase a bear for 2 days to get a camera bag back. Just wanted to be able to frighten wildlife that is giving me issues...

Buy Pepper spray. Using a firearm as a wildlife deterent is going to get you jammed up....its for defense of self only! In PA, I'm pretty sure you cannot use deadly force to protect property!

Sorry, but asking any "WARDEN" ie Law Enforcement Officer is like asking a
    2nd grader to explain the some super duper mathmatical theory...You'll get all kinds of different answers, most of which would be wrong!

Shooting a firearm at wildlife, especially in the "SPRING" when animals are birthing young, could very easily get you arrested for "Harrassing Wildlife."

Again, I stress, Pepper Spray for animals unless your life is in Danger!!!

(Allegheny County)

how about getting trampled by a crazy deer for no reason, sitting in a blind taking photos and from behind it came out of a thicket on a charge.. Peperspray would not have stoped that deer. Just the sound of a gunfire would have probably sent it running. As for personal property then again the bear would have run rather than go threw my blind when i was up a tree to avoid it. Both were bad days but they are few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper2000 View Post
    Sounds like a national forest has different rules than a national park. I think i will take it with me and if i see a warden i can ask him... I have 64 stitches from a deer and have had to chase a bear for 2 days to get a camera bag back. Just wanted to be able to frighten wildlife that is giving me issues...
    You're not the guy who put doe scent on and got his butt kicked by the Big Buck? Just kidding. Most deer and bears don't like their pictures taken, much like Frank Sinatra Anybody have that video?

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper2000 View Post
    Dude, if you chased a bear to get your camera bag back, you don't need a pistol....just slap it with yer nutz......

but yeah, with the LTCF you should be golden, I would not ask the warden, good chance he'll be wrong.

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast