Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: LTCF DENIAL!

(Franklin County)

Default Re: LTCF DENIAL!

Quote Originally Posted by lexluger View Post
    I had no idea it was in my ash tray or else I would have not consented to the search.
    Which is exactly why you should never, ever, consent to a search of your vehicle.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by MontCo Alex View Post
    Can he still own firearms with that conviction? Or just not get a LTCF?
    Yes. I can and do own firearms. This wasnt a felony. I did not even spend a minute in jail.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    By not giving the reason in their letter, the PD has violated Title 18, subsection 6109(g).
    They are required by law to send the letter Certified Mail and include the reason for denial.

Unfortunately, ANY conviction under "The Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act" is a disqualification for a License to Carry Firearms.

Ref: 18Pa.C.S.6109(e)(1)(ii)
    Thank you very much, I will look into this. The letter did come certified, but no explanation.

(Philadelphia County)

I am consulting a lawyer. I am not a felon. I am a law abiding American, or so I thought.

Yes. I can and do own firearms. This wasnt a felony. I did not even spend a minute in jail.
    Ummmm....do you pass PICS?

You can be prohibited for lots of reasons other than felonies. Actual jail time served has nothing to do with it, the issue is whether you could have been sentenced to over 2 years for a misdemeanor, or whether you were convicted of any misdemeanor under the drug laws, or whether you fall into any of the other prohibited categories in either state or federal law.

The confusion is mostly due to the asshats in Washington who lie about the Brady check, and brag about all of those "felons" who were denied. I'd bet that a majority of denials are not based on felony convictions. Federal and PA law list a bunch of misdemeanors, in addition to PFA's, mental health issues, less-than-honorable military discharges, unpaid fines or outstanding warrants, etc.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by tail pipe todd View Post
    I know this will be a hot topic thread. But, the moral of the story is this. If you hang around people that smoke weed or use any other drug you should think again if this is someone that should be a friend. If you are driving them around while they are in possession you can suffer the same fate as they would when caught. This is not going to turn into a debate on weather pot should be legal or not. Right now it is illegal, if it was in your ashtry in your car. It's yours.... It may have been put there by someone else, you may not even smoke weed, but if its in your car, its yours and that is the way the law treats it.

Its a bummer what happened to you. I would be more worried about the repercussions of signing that form. A misdemeanor arrest is not a small thing. There would have been court dates and lawyer and judges (at least in pa)

I would reccommed doing your own little criminal history check on yourself at http://ujsportal.pacourts.us this site is good for PA history only.
    Agreed. Actually, it was an ex-girlfriend and I did learn my lesson. The last ten years of my life reflect that. And yes, weed is illegal and I really dont care about that issue at all. I care about being treated like a felon when I havent even had a ticket since this. And to clear things up, I never spent a minute in jail. From what I can recall, I was let go that evening and asked to come back for finger printing, and I complied. It was in my car, so legally it was mine, I thought I did the right thing. Guess I will continue to pay for this mistake even though I have "paid my debt to society". Now I cant protect my own life or the life of my wife in a city riddled with street crime and thugs sick enough to shoot police officers. I work two jobs, I pay my taxes. I should have back ground checked myself, but who thinks to do that? In my mind it was a speeding violation, that was more expensive than the pot fine. I was a STUPID 19 year old kid. Thanks for the reply.

(Franklin County)

I am consulting a lawyer. I am not a felon. I am a law abiding American, or so I thought.
    You need to put away the "I am not a felon" line - it's a common misconception. There are many misdemeanor convictions that can prohibit you from owning or possessing firearms for life. I'm not saying that you are a prohibited person, but the fact that you presently own firearms doesn't mean you're not.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Luzerne County)

You can be prohibited without committing a felony.
    18Pa.C.S.6105

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    as has already been stated: YES

it sucks, I dont personally agree with it, but it is what it is.

BTW lexluger? johnny blaze ? funny choice for a screen name with this question. lol
    Johnny Blaze? If I werent so depressed, that would be funny. But Lex Luger denotes a gun owner, which I am, and Johnny Blaze would denote a pothead, which I am not. I still have a sense of humor, just not about my 2nd Amendment rights.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Ummmm....do you pass PICS?

You can be prohibited for lots of reasons other than felonies. Actual jail time served has nothing to do with it, the issue is whether you could have been sentenced to over 2 years for a misdemeanor, or whether you were convicted of any misdemeanor under the drug laws, or whether you fall into any of the other prohibited categories in either state or federal law.

The confusion is mostly due to the asshats in Washington who lie about the Brady check, and brag about all of those "felons" who were denied. I'd bet that a majority of denials are not based on felony convictions. Federal and PA law list a bunch of misdemeanors, in addition to PFA's, mental health issues, less-than-honorable military discharges, unpaid fines or outstanding warrants, etc.
    I have passed to federal checks for firearms purchases, not sure if this is the same thing? The letter says "You have been denied a license to carry a firearm, and the denial is based on Pennsylvania Instant Check System."

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast