Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default LTCF received in fifteen minutes!

My wife and I went to get our CC's last night. I got mine renewed and she got her's for the first time. We got a new sheriff in the last election and he's updated the method.

You fill out your application, turn it in with your driver's license and $25. The sheriffs people make the background check produce your license...VIOLA!

I don't know if this is the standard, but it should be if it isn't! Fill out paper work, get two people to sign it, wait a month for BC's then schlepping into the Sheriff's office for pictures. Technology at it's best!

(York County)

Default Re: LTCF received in fifteen minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by spratman View Post
    My wife and I went to get our CC's last night. I got mine renewed and she got her's for the first time. We got a new sheriff in the last election and he's updated the method.

You fill out your application, turn it in with your driver's license and $25. The sheriffs people make the background check produce your license...VIOLA!

I don't know if this is the standard, but it should be if it isn't! Fill out paper work, get two people to sign it, wait a month for BC's then schlepping into the Sheriff's office for pictures. Technology at it's best!

This sounds exactly like my experience with the York County Sheriff's Dept. And I was 3rd in line!

I hope this is the direction the trend is taking.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Centre County)

That's exactly how it is in Centre County. My dad renewed his and my sister got hers in about 15-20 minutes. I'm always shocked when I read stories of people getting theirs weeks later.

Out of curiosity I went to the sheriff's website and found some things that are in violation of the UFA and other things that are questionable. All are in my bold below.

BTW, nowhere does this page call the Pennsylvania item by its correct name, a license to carry a firearms

Concealed Weapons Permit Instructions

You MUST Have a Valid Pennsylvania Drivers License or Identification Card.

Out of state applicants must have a license to carry AND a Driver's License or State ID from the state in which they reside.

Firearm Permits are valid for five years from the date of issue
    Applications are available at the firearm permit office.

1. You must fill out all the information requested from number 1 thru 40 with the exception of #2 on this page. Sign and date the application when finished.

2. Please note, social security numbers are voluntary. However, If there is a record found and we do not have the ability to identify you from that record, your license will not be approved.

3. Non-Pennsylvania residents must have a license to carry a firearms from the state in which they reside and a valid state ID or Driver's License. You must also either have business, family, or property in York County. You are required to provide us with written verification that you meet the requirements and a copy of your resident state firearms permit and your Drivers License or State issued ID with your application.

4. Processing time is usually 3 (three) weeks. However, under state law the background checks can take up to 45 days. If you provide an email address, we will email you when your application is ready to be picked up. Also, if you request we will call you when your application is ready. Due to the large volume of applications, only one phone call attempt will be made. hence, you will be required to have a working answering machine. If we do not get an answering machine, no other phone call attempts will be made. Request for email or phone call are to be requested on the form available by clicking HERE (.pdf).

5. Permits must be picked up in person, and valid state ID is required to pickup permits. We will only hold your permit for 90 (ninety) days. After that time period it will be removed from our system and you will have to reapply at that time. If you call, we will not release any information as to your application status.

6. Return the completed application along with $25 dollars, cash, check, or money order. Your application will not be processed without these funds! Checks are to be made payable to: Sheriff of York County mail application and payment to the address at the bottom of this page.

7. We will be contacting references and employer as part of the background process. Applications will be denied if contact information is incomplete or inaccurate.

8. Applications are available by clicking HERE (.pdf). The form is required to be double sided. Applications with the back side on a separate sheet of paper will be rejected. The application instructions are available by clicking HERE (.pdf)

A $5.00 administrative fee will be assessed for all declined applications and permits not picked up within 90 days.

York County Judicial Center
    York PA 17401
    717-771-9601
    Fax: 717-771-9957

If I am reading your post correctly, the entire process of getting your wife's LTCF took about a month or so?
    And your renewal was instant?

I'm sorry, but it's a little confusing...kinda looks like your wife walked in and did everything last nite and got it on the spot.

Which does happen in some places in PA. If they just do the PICS check and not call your references.

Anyway, congrats to you and the Mrs.
    Last edited by HiredGoon; March 20th, 2009 at 12:45 PM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    If I am reading your post correctly, the entire process of getting your wife's LTCF took about a month or so?
    And your renewal was instant?

I'm sorry, but it's a little confusing...kinda looks like your wife walked in and did everything last nite and got it on the spot.

Which does happen in some places in PA. If they just do the PICS check and not call your references.

Anyway, congrats to you and the Mrs.
    Sorry. What I think I write and what is perceived is sometimes not even close...

No, my wife and I both went in last night and fifteen minutes later, walked out with our permits.

What I was remarking on was the fact that it used to be far more laborious when I applied the first time, as you said 30 to 45 days.

I suspect that since Obama has taken office, there have been massive numbers of licenses applied for and received. I tried to chat them up but old sarge wasn't talking.

I was thinking last night driving back with my wife, and told her, you know, these would be a very easy way to track down gun owners. Same as using the 4473's like in Red Dawn...

Another case where we have a good thing that could be used for hosing us later.

Sorry. What I think I write and what is perceived is sometimes not even close...

No, my wife and I both went in last night and fifteen minutes later, walked out with our permits.

What I was remarking on was the fact that it used to be far more laborious when I applied the first time, as you said 30 to 45 days.
    Ah, OK thanks for the clarification... gotcha. That's even better and the way it should be all over PA

(Cambria County)

Getting my permit in cambria county was a breeze, walked in, filled out the paper and turned it in. they said to take a seat on the bench outside. i sat there (3rd in line) and like 7 minutes later they called me in and told me to sit and have my picture taken, then they handed me a copy and i was out. called my references to tell them thanks and they told me that they never even called them
    You'll thank me when no one eats our brains......you'll thank me

Quote Originally Posted by Ja86son View Post
    Getting my permit in cambria county was a breeze, walked in, filled out the paper and turned it in. they said to take a seat on the bench outside. i sat there (3rd in line) and like 7 minutes later they called me in and told me to sit and have my picture taken, then they handed me a copy and i was out. called my references to tell them thanks and they told me that they never even called them
    Well, the process takes longer here in Michigan, but so far, they've never called any of my references either. But I think that may vary from one county to the next. Where I live, Lansing (Ingham County) they don't even call you before the county gun board. But I've heard that in nearby Jackson County, they do.

And of course, here in Michigan, we have a training requirement for first time applicants as well.

"Big Gay Al" Lowe
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    South Park Fan

(Berks County)

spratman you should've said something.. I didn't realize you came in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast