Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: judge.

(Lycoming County)

Default judge.

i need an opinion, i bought a judge about 2 weeks ago. i have fired 10 rounds through it. it is the blued finish, and has a hammer. so anyway i get bored with things quick, and i took it to gander. i wanted to maybe trade it in on a shotgun. (by the way they have a bushmaster m4a3 carbine instock.) they look it over and tell me that they will give me a trade in credit of 230.00
    i told him to put it back in the box and have a good day. is this a normal trade in value for an almost new gun?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: judge.

Yes typical and a total ripoff. Especially Gander. I would take anything to then to trade ever! You would be much better off placing a post here to sell it and see what happens. Remember, stores need to make a profit on that trade so they are going to lowball you every time so they can jack up the price and re-sell. Perhaps try some local shops in your area as opposed to "big" name shops.

(York County)

Most folks hold on to their guns for a while. Me...I've still got the Glock 17L I bought in '87.
    If your interest wanes quickly...you might be better off renting at a range a few times before buying.
    I don't know what you paid for your Judge new, but figure 30% depreciation as you leave the gun shop. I'm a real Taurus fan, and own 3...but I know resale isn't as good as other brands.
    If you want to trade, you might get a better value at the shop where you bought that Judge.

(Montgomery County)

I agree, Bass Pro offered me under $600 for a Browning Citori Lightning. The told me because it was a 26" it was no good to them. Gun is better than 95%, with hard case and a bunch of extra chokes. I told them to eat it. Sold it a few weeks later for $1200. As for the Taurus I was leaning toward a tracker 44 mag but went with Ruger when I compared the Quality. Althought the Ruger was almost $250 more.

(York County)

Smile Re: judge.

You should have no problem selling the gun for a decent price. Gander Mtn. is a place that I go to look and that's about it. What really would have made you sick is not only taking their shitty offer but going back a couple days later and seeing it in the case and what they are selling it for. I have seen some posts here where people have gotten a gun at Gander for a good price but everything I see there new and used is much higher than other shops in the area.

Good luck.
    Rehab is for quitters!!

(Lancaster County)

Guns are like cars, they lose value the minute you drive it off the lot. The most I predict you will get for it from a shop is 280. They would price it around 360 I bet.

(Bucks County)

no gunshop will offer you anything close to what you paid for the gun new. suppose that same gun costs the dealer 300 bucks from taurus. you can expect your trade in value to be 25-50% less than what the dealer can get the same gun new for and you've got your 230 offer from gander mountain. in addition some guns will have higher resale values than others with taurus having initial lower costs thus lower trade in values. i'd keep the Judge and if you're bored try firing some 45LC through it or post it for sale here and try and get more money.

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Guns are like cars, they lose value the minute you drive it off the lot. The most I predict you will get for it from a shop is 280. They would price it around 360 I bet.
    I don't think that's true at all.

Gander also sells the Judge brand new for over $500. I guarantee you they would only price it $20 to $40 below the price of the new one. I've seen used Sigs at Gander that were dinged, dented and scratched all to hell for over $350. Saw a Kimber in the used case at my local Gander last night. They have it new for $1300. The used one is $1250.

(Lycoming County)

gander is selling the judge for 549.00 + tax. then 5.00 for pics. but they are selling the bobtail version. and they are telling me that the bobtail is only made for gander and that i cannot get it anywhere else. but i checked gb and there is a few other dealers that have them brand new. oh and i did buy a bm xm15 carbine from them last year. the salesman kept trying to sell me a used one for 899.99, i told him i didn;t want a used one could he show me the new ones? so he showes me the rack with the colt and s@w carbines. i start looking through them as he walks away to help another guy. i finally work my way around to the bm's and there it is the same make/modle as the used one for 899.99, and the price for the new one - 899.99. huh? i bought the new one

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    no gunshop will offer you anything close to what you paid for the gun new. suppose that same gun costs the dealer 300 bucks from taurus. you can expect your trade in value to be 25-50% less than what the dealer can get the same gun new for
    This is mostly true. I am friends with two local gun shop owners, and I can tell you, they LOVE to sell used guns (especially if they sold that same gun new).

A shop will buy a brand new gun at a wholesale dealer discount price, and then sell it for the manufacturer's suggested retail price. They can't buy a used gun for more than they can get it for new, and they certainly can't turn around and sell that used gun for the same price as the new one sitting next to it (regardless of how many rounds a guy says he put through it). They want to, and are entitled to, make a profit on every gun they sell. They are not going to give you close to what you paid for it because they would not get a profit for it. They won't be in business long by helping guys out who decided they don't want their gun afterall.

...would you buy a used gun for the same price as the new one sitting next to it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast