Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Glock 17

Default New Glock 17

I never was a fan of Glock until I got one. I bought it last week and didn't get a chance to shoot it until yesterday. I installed the mag well plug, extended slide release and extended mag release yesterday morning before I went to the range. All that took maybe 10 min. I have little girl hands so the extended controls made a huge difference. I shot about 300 rds and it is awesome. Super accurate, the sights are really easy to pick up and get on target fast. I had one 5 shot group at 50ft where all five bullet holes were touching , this was standing with no rest. I actually couldn't believe it. The only thing I don't like are the plastic sights. I think I'm going to order the steel sights eventually. I also want to install the 3.5lb trigger. The trigger parts are under $20 and easy to install. I got the gun used with two 17rd mags and the case for $425. The gun looks brand new, so I thought it was a good deal. I wish I would have bought one sooner, the lack of a safety was what kept me from buying one in the past. Since I've been shooting a while I realize that your holster is really your trigger safety and any other safety really isn't necessary.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: New Glock 17

good deal.

definitely replace the stock sights. the stock glock sights suck. which is a bit perplexing given how just about perfect the rest of the gun is.

i'd suggest going with night sights if you are going to use this gun for any kind of defensive role.
    F*S=k

(Bucks County)

Excellent deal, congrats! If I were ever to go back to 9mm, the only polymer-framed gun I'd want is the Glock 17.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    the stock glock sights suck. which is a bit perplexing given how just about perfect the rest of the gun is.
    Sights are a personal thing. No matter what, someone isn't going to like them. Imagine if they put on a quality metal sight, and increase the price of the gun. Then everyone who doesn't like them wasted their money.

I'm an avid mountain biker. If you ever buy a higher end bike, they don't even come with pedals. Cause the first thing you do is put on your personal preference pedal.

Kinda the same reason rifles don't come with scopes.

(Butler County)

I purchased a G19 recently and it was one of the ones from Austria...strangely enough they have metal sights.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by tlgpa View Post
    Sights are a personal thing. No matter what, someone isn't going to like them. Imagine if they put on a quality metal sight, and increase the price of the gun. Then everyone who doesn't like them wasted their money.

I'm an avid mountain biker. If you ever buy a higher end bike, they don't even come with pedals. Cause the first thing you do is put on your personal preference pedal.

Kinda the same reason rifles don't come with scopes.
    good point.
    F*S=k

(York County)

Welcome to Glocks!
    The 17 was the first, and IMHO, the best of the breed (with the G19 being a very very close second).

I have the 3½ lb trigger on my Glock, which was originally sold as a 17L. I like it, but not for a self defense gun. I strongly suggest you not make changes to the stock trigger until you have several trips to the range and get a good feel for the trigger.
    My reasoning is as follows: I have a stock trigger on a G19 (which I do carry). If I shoot the G19 first, during a range trip...then the 17, I will invariably fire rounds out of the 17 before I'm ready. For me, the lightness of the 3½ lb trigger compared to the stock 5-6 lb trigger works against me. Sooner or later, I'll swap the connector in either the 17 or 19 to make them the same. Since I actually prefer the 19's trigger, even for target shooting, that's probably the direction I'll take.
    In fact, I'm suggesting the only money you spend on your Glock is for magazines and ammunition...at least for a few months.
    Good luck with your G17. You got a nice deal...good price!

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    Welcome to Glocks!
    The 17 was the first, and IMHO, the best of the breed (with the G19 being a very very close second).

I have the 3½ lb trigger on my Glock, which was originally sold as a 17L. I like it, but not for a self defense gun. I strongly suggest you not make changes to the stock trigger until you have several trips to the range and get a good feel for the trigger.
    My reasoning is as follows: I have a stock trigger on a G19 (which I do carry). If I shoot the G19 first, during a range trip...then the 17, I will invariably fire rounds out of the 17 before I'm ready. For me, the lightness of the 3½ lb trigger compared to the stock 5-6 lb trigger works against me. Sooner or later, I'll swap the connector in either the 17 or 19 to make them the same. Since I actually prefer the 19's trigger, even for target shooting, that's probably the direction I'll take.
    In fact, I'm suggesting the only money you spend on your Glock is for magazines and ammunition...at least for a few months.
    Good luck with your G17. You got a nice deal...good price!
    The 3.5 lb disconnector for the trigger is $15. I'm going to install it and see how I like it compared to the original trigger. I shot a Glock 19 with it installed and it wasn't super light so I think it will be OK. If I don't like it I'll put the original back on. I bought this gun for IDPA and target shooting not to carry so the light trigger should be OK. I like the Glock sight design, just not the plastic. It is handy when you want to make a sight adjustment, just give it a couple whacks with a screwdriver handle.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Schuylkill County)

I knew my ears were burning for a reason. ;p

The Glock 17 is a great gun. Well built, shoots well, comfortable and fun.

Enjoy it!

(Allegheny County)

I have a G19 just to have a 9mm plinker, so I am not gonna put nice sights on it as it is just a range toy at the moment.
    what I did do is take a black permanent marker to the rear sight to get rid of that white box, and then a florecent red paint sight pen to the front dot. Much improved.

I like the feel of the gun, I like the trigger and its predictable and distinct reset and break point. But I cant hit with it well. It confuses me, cause on paper and as to preferance I should be cool with it. But in reality I come up way short in comparision to shooting my 1911.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast