Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Interesting Quote from The Federalist Papers

This is Alexander Hamilton from Federalist #30:

"I believe it may be regarded as a position warranted by the history of mankind, that, IN THE USUAL PROGRESS OF THINGS, THE NECESSITIES OF A NATION, IN EVERY STAGE OF ITS EXISTENCE, WILL BE FOUND AT LEAST EQUAL TO ITS RESOURCES." -- Alexander Hamilton 12/28/1787

"at least" is right, as the "necessities" of our nation have surpassed our its resources to the tune of $11 Trillion dollars...

From the same paper:

"The conclusion is, that there must be interwoven, in the frame of the government, a general power of taxation, in one shape or another." ... "Money is, with propriety, considered as the vital principle of the body politic; as that which sustains its life and motion, and enables it to perform its most essential functions. A complete power, therefore, to procure a regular and adequate supply of it, as far as the resources of the community will permit, may be regarded as an indispensable ingredient in every constitution."

(emphasis added) - It sounds like what he is saying is that the government should have the power to confiscate ALL wealth... "as far as the resources of the community will permit" means everything.

Discuss

edit: ps, I plan to make this a weekly thing. I'll dig out an interesting quote from the group of founding documents so we can discuss how it relates to the present state of our Nation. It should be a fun exercise.
    Last edited by ehidle; March 20th, 2009 at 05:44 AM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Interesting Quote from The Federalist Papers

The trouble with discussing the Federalist Papers is that almost everybody can dig out a quote that fits their particular point of view.

Its a much too complex discussion, I think, and all must be taken within its context. Another big issue is the bias of the writer. For example Hamilton's views compared to that of Madison. Or their views compared to the other founding fathers.

Not to discourage you.....just sayin....

(Northumberland County)

Taxation is a necessary evil for any government... Which is why there should be VERY strict limitations on the power of taxation that any one government should be allowed.

Unfortunately, our current incarnation of federal government doesn't believe that there are ANY limitations of it's power and does what it pleases... This has us headed down the road to slavery...

(Bucks County)

Yeah, but I think we should consider what type of taxes. Sales, import, etc. I think are valid forms. Income tax, however, forces labor without compensation which is morally the same as slavery.