An Indiana County Court jury this evening convicted state trooper Kevin Foley of first degree murder in the April 13, 2006, slashing death of Blairsville dentist John Yelenic.

Yelenic's relatives and friends gasped; one clapped and another blurted 'alright' as a tipstaff read from the verdict slip completed by the jury foreman. Sheriff's deputies directed spectators to remain silent while Judge William Martin polled the jurors individually for their verdicts.

Martin said the conviction carries a mandatory term of life in prison, and scheduled Foley to appear June 1 for sentencing.

State police charged that Foley repeatedly slashed Yelenic then shoved his head through a window, severing Yelenic's jugular vein, in a violent attack in Yelenic's home in Blairsville. Investigators brought the charges Sept. 27, 2007, about 17 months after the killing.

Foley was living with Yelenic's estranged wife, Michelle Yelenic. The Yelenics were as little as one day away from finalizing their divorce when Yelenic was murdered.

Foley testified Wednesday morning that he was innocent of the charges.

Attorneys presented closing arguments and Martin finished instructing the jury, sending them at 3:42 p.m. to begin deliberations.

The jurors returned to the courtroom at 8:18 p.m., asking Martin to again read the legal definition of "reasonable doubt," a factor that is fundamental to a jury deciding between conviction and exoneration.

Almost 50 spectators remained in the courthouse to wait on a verdict. Tipstaffs brought word of the decision to Martin's chambers about 9:54 p.m, little more than six hours after the panel debated Foley's fate.

Foley was seated with his back to the gallery and showed no apparent emotion when the verdict was read.

Court officials ushered the jurors to Martin's chambers five minutes after the verdict was announced.

I have been waiting 3 years for this and it's been worth it! This happened in my hometown that I grew up in (Blairsville Pa) and the victim was a cousin of one of my best friends and family. This has to be a happy day for John Yelenic's family that he left behind. John Yelenic was admired by everyone who knew him. He was a dentist with a growing practice and friendly with anyone and everyone he came in contact with. John had 2 enemies in his life and not by his choosing, his wife and her boyfriend. Dr. Yelenic mentioned numerous times that he feared his life was in danger so when he was murdered everyone knew who was behind it.

Kevin Foley thought he was above the law and that he could joke about killing someone and get away with murder. I can only hope that prison life will be a living hell for this man.